Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Ex Virgin Media Customer With Current Virgin Media Email

Good Morning All,

I was a Virgin Media customer for many years until we moved house last year (February) to an area where Virgin Media does not have a presence. I have my original .ntlworld.com email account (master) and three other email accounts under .virginmedia.com.

In March 2020 I received the email advising that I was in the group where some of my data could have been available to hackers. This morning I was notified by Equifax that one of my .virginmedia.com email accounts was being "offered for sale", so presumably part of the hacked information.

I tried to log onto my virginmedia email account this morning under virginmedia.com, but am uable to as my account no longer exists (according to the message generated), however all my .virginmedia.com and .ntlworld.com email accounts are working as normal, but I can no longer log into the server to change a password, which in all probability has been compromised.

I have tried contacting VM by phone, but it's impossible.

Any suggestion please?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Ex Virgin Media Customer With Current Virgin Media Email

Hi,

You can try the security hub here.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/how-to-report-online-abuse

Hope this helps.

Lee

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You have come to the right place, captainschair.

You may not realise, but the mailboxes should have been closed AND deleted automatically 90 days after you finished being a customer, according to VM's own Terms and Conditions. But the process fails all too often and leaves the former customer vulnerable to hacking and theft of personal and financial details (IMO, someone should definitely claim for damages from VM or complain to ICO!).

Only VM staff can raise a ticket to get the mailboxes deleted manually. The friendly Forum Team will visit this thread in the next few days and then take your personal details by private message.

When they say it is done, you can verify it is gone by running the email address(es) through mailtester.com.

In the meantime, as you still have access via an email client on your phone (or try Thunderbird - using IMAP process which synchronises with the mailbox stored on the VM server), delete everything from all the folders to reduce the information available to hackers.   (FIRST BACK UP ANYTHING YOU WANT TO KEEP, OF COURSE!)

Best wishes to you.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Orphan-Email-accounts/td-p/3492073/

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Thank you both for the excellent replies. I was aware that the accounts should have been deleted, but since the security breach they appear to have deleted my administration access to my accounts, but allowed the accounts to continue to operate.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Morning captainschair, 

Thanks for posting and welcome to out community 🙂

I've popped you over a private message so I can help you with this. (purple envelope in the top right hand corner)

Get back to me when you can.

Alex_Rm