cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error using desktop pc chrome : Your mailbox is not available at the moment

Graham1967
Dialled in

Can log into virgin media ok but unable to access email via desktop pc windows 10 using chrome browser have also tried edge browser same thing. NOTE: Have checked and email is working ok via my smartphone chrome browser.

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Graham1967 wrote:

unable to access email via desktop pc windows 10

NOTE: Have checked and email is working ok via my smartphone chrome browser.

The fact that you are getting the "Your mailbox is not available at the moment" on your desk top pc but not when you try accessing the email account on your phone is very unusual.

As far as I am aware, up to now that "mailbox unavailable" error has always meant that the email account has been locked by Virgin Media for some reason. As a result the webmail account becomes inaccessible from any device and you cannot even access the email account using an email app or client from any device.

VM stopped issuing new email accounts to customers last year and since then they seem to be making more and more changes to their email service so perhaps this anomaly arises from another change they have made.😕

The usual advice for that error is to reset the password for the account so, if I was in your situation, I would reset the password anyway.

VM have made changes to the password reset process as well so I have included the info on how to do that at the end of this post.

Try resetting the password and see if that resolves the "Mailbox unavailable" error on your pc and then post back on how that goes.

Coenoby

Password reset and new email app password process

1) Sign into the My Virgin Media account  from this link https://my.virginmedia.com/home/signIn  using the VM email address and existing password of the email account you wish to reset.  That will take you to the relevant "My Virgin Media" account for that email address. (All VM email accounts, including secondary accounts now have a My Virgin Media a/c.)

Then click on the "Account settings" tab and then  the "Account details" tab. Scroll down that page and you will see a place to edit the password.

Change the password to one you have not used before and leave it 20-30 minutes before trying to access the account using the new password.

2) In addition, if you use an email app on your phone or pc there is now an extra step to take:

In the last week or so Virgin Media have made another change to their email service which means that when you reset a VM email password you now have to generate an app specific password to use instead or your webmail password when accessing that email address via any third party email apps or clients on all your devices.

To do that scroll down the "Accounts details" page to "Mailbox app password management." and click on "Manage".

You can then generate an app password which will be in the format:        video-post-mossy-sharp

You will then need to enter that new app password (including the "-") into the password field in the email apps on your various devices.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Graham1967
Dialled in

Thanks for your help confirm have reset password  however issue still remains. I Note your comments regarding Mailbox app password management however I see no section for this under Accounts details

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Graham1967 wrote:

Note your comments regarding Mailbox app password management however I see no section for this under Accounts details

This is what I see at the bottom of that Account Details page when accessing My Virgin Media via the website:

manage app password.png

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Appreciate the help

That Virgin Media Mail section below telephone security details  is totally missing via my desktop / chrome pc !

I can however see the Virgin Medial Mail section on my smartphone chrome browser and have generate an app password for email. 

Still cannot access virgi media email via desktop.

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Graham1967 wrote:

That Virgin Media Mail section below telephone security details  is totally missing via my desktop / chrome pc

I can however see the Virgin Medial Mail section on my smartphone chrome browser and have generate an app password for email. 

Still cannot access virgi media email via desktop.

The mystery deepens.

One suggestion, try accessing your My Virgin Media account on your desktop from an Incognito Window in Chrome. If that works it suggests there is a corrupted cookie stored in Chrome that is stopping you from seeing the Virgin Media Mail section of the website.

And one question, when you accessed your My Virgin Media account from your smartphone were you connected via your VM wifi or your mobile data network?

Post back on those two points and if necessary I will escalate this to the VM Forum Team.Coenoby

Coenoby

Thanks have just tried accessing virgin media mail via desktop chrome incognito tab and still getting same error Your mailbox is not available at the moment

Am using my wifi network to access virgin media mail via smartphones chrome browser

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Graham1967 

Thanks for the swift response. Sorry that my suggestions do not offer any more insight.

I have raised this behind the scenes with a couple of other VIPs to see if they have any suggestions.

I will wait to hear from them and then if necessary I'll escalate to the VM Forum Team. That should be euther later tonight or first thing tomorrow.

Coenoby

Thanks and much appreciated 👍

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Graham1967 

I have just escalated this to the VM Forum Team (VM employees who support this forum) so one of them should be contacting you via this thread, hopefully,  tomorrow.

They may well take your details via the Forum Private Message (PM) facility so keep an eye out for an "1" beside the white envelop at the very top of the forum page.

I'll keep a eye on this thread with interest. 🤔

Coenoby