cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error sending email

chesshedgehog
Joining in

I'm trying to send an email to FBU.London@ssa.gov and get an error:

Server error: '550 5.1.2 Recipient Domain Invalid (VM521)

This is a valid email address and I have sent emails to it previously.

15 REPLIES 15

Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi chesshedgehog,

Thanks for posting and welcome to our community 🙂

Sorry to hear you're having some issues with your email. Can you confirm if there are problems sending to any other email addresses?

Do you have an alternative email address to try sending an email?

Is the email address you're sending to still in use?

Alex_Rm

This is the only email address I have a problem sending to and the address is still in use. NOTE it is for the social security administration of the US government. 

Hi chesshedgehog,

Thank you for reaching back out and confirming you don't have any issues with other Emails, can you try sending while connected to mobile data and not WiFi, are you also able to try sending form a different Email address to see if the same occurs?

Regards

Paul.

Please note this is an important email going to the "social security administration of the US government. "  My virginmedia email address is linked to my account with them so I prefer not to try to use a different email address.

Are you able to check that ssa.gov is recognised as a domain by the virginmedia DNS ? 

This isn't something I can check, have you tried sending while using Mobile Data and not WiFi to make sure it isn't an issue with your I P address?

Regards

Paul.

I am still getting the error when I try to send the email from my desktop. However I logged into webmail and sent the email from there. It appears to have been sent successfully from there. 
I'm wondering what is causing this. ping ssa.gov and nslookup ssa.gov both work fine from a command prompt. 

>nslookup ssa.gov
Server: cache1.service.virginmedia.net
Address: 194.168.4.100

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: ssa.gov
Addresses: 2001:1930:d07::aaaa
2001:1930:e03::aaaa

Hi chesshedgehog,

So just to confirm- is the error only when using an email client?

Alex_Rm

Yeah it seems like the email was sent successfully from webmail. ( I do not have confirmation that they received it but I did not receive an "undeliverable" message)  It failed from outlook on my desktop. 

Hi chesshedgehog,

Thanks for confirming this, have you tried removing the email from outlook then setting it back up, you can find all the Email setting you need here?

Regards

Paul.