Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Error 554

I use Outlook for sending and receiving emails from my personal and business email addresses.  All emails that I send are getting through to the recipient with the exception of emails that I send to my two colleagues using my business email address. 

The message states: The following recipient(s) cannot be reached: 554

We are all using the same business domain name.

If I cc a colleague on a business email, it goes through.

If I email a colleague on my iPhone using Outlook - no problem.

If I email a colleague using the mail provider's (IONOS) webmail - no problem.

IONOS (formerly 1&1) have told me that "it appears that it's your ISP's IP address 82.27.115.nnn which is being blacklisted at the moment. I suggest you contact your ISP directly for further advise".

If anyone out there has any idea what is going on and how to fix this, I would be very grateful.

Gary

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Error 554

Hello

You can check your listing yourself but there is no point requesting removal until you have found and deleted the spambot. https://www.spamhaus.org/query and type in your external IP you can gets this my typing "whats my ip" into google.

If you are on the SBL list then you are going to need to find the SpamBot that is on your home network using the following information https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Searching-for-Spambots-on-your-network/td-p/40....

If you are not on the SBL then IONOS need to help you more.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

We are on the wrong track here. First of all we need to see the full error message that you are getting. Edit out the part of the message that precedes the ' symbol in e-mail addresses. There is no failure to send e-mail so checking as above is not what is needed. Second I suspect you are sending the mail using your business domain but via VM's SMTPs servers. If you are and you haven't got a correct SPF record set up then you will get this kind of trouble. But I really need to confirm just what you are doing before going any further.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your response - the message comes straight back saying Undeliverable with the following content

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject:     test only please ignore

Sent:  17/05/2020 10:39

The following recipient(s) cannot be reached:

Adam Byrne on 17/05/2020 10:39

554 For explanation visit https://www.ionos.com/help/index.php?id=2425&ip=82.27.115.190&c=hd

The business emails are configured in Outlook to use IONOS mail server with smtp authentication on.  I have been using this for 3 years with no issues. The only thing that has changed to my knowledge is moving from BT (rubbish connection speed) to Virgin (fantastic speed) as my ISP.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Can you tell us the domain name in the e-mail address for Adam Byrne? I have a problem here in that it would be helpful to know this but it will disclose Adam's full e-mail address (not difficult to construct). So in the alternative could you just confirm whether it is an IONOS domain?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@HowardML 

Looking at the IP address in the error message, the only blacklists that it is on are various Policy Blacklists

Spamhaus PBL
dnsbl.spfbl.net
dul.dnsbl.sorbs.net

@garydolphin  You're not running an email server on yout home IP address are you?

Tim

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The reason I was asking if you are running a mail server at home was because when I looked at the link to the IONOS error message, the 554 error messages all seemed to be messages I'd expect on inbound rather than outbound mail.

Are you using the right port setting in Outlook.  Some mail servers are set up as Smart hosts.  They expect outgoing mail to be sent on port 587 StartTLS (or possibly port 465 SSL/TLS)  While incoming mail from other domains will always come in on port 25.

Tim

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tim, just to confirm, all my outgoing emails are processed perfectly with the exception of a few that I send to my two colleagues. Does your suggestion of checking the port still apply?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I would still double check.

Tim

0 Kudos