cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emails

KeetDavies123
Joining in

I am having problems with my email account that Virgin seem incapable of solving. I can access, send and receive emails using Microsoft outlook. However when I try to access my emails through Virgin Media it comes up 'forbidden'. Initially, i spoke to a Virgin representative who changed my password and said it would work in 30 minutes. It didn't. I spoke to another virgin representative who changed my password again and, when that didn't work, escalated the problem. I asked to be telephoned on my mobile. A few days later I discovered a message had been left on my landline from Virgin that i couldn't decipher (my landline is in a spare bedroom, unused, because Virgin offer a better deal to keep it and not use it rather than not having it!). Bizarrely, I still use my original password to access my emails through Microsoft Outlook but have to use the newest password to access my virgin media account. 

3 REPLIES 3

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@KeetDavies123 

1) Regarding the "Forbidden" issue with Virgin Media Webmail:

One of the Forum Team should be able to check what the status of your case is with the relevant VM tech team. One of the Forum Team will be contacting you via this thread either today or tomorrow.

2) Regarding the current position with accessing your account, particularly the fact that Outlook is still working with your old password. To me that suggests that the password resets that VM have done do not seem to have worked as they should. One reason I say that is that VM have recently added to the security of their email accounts by forcing you to use a generated "email app password" for use with software such as Outlook. If the password reset had worked it should mean that neither your old or new webmail passwords should now work in Outlook!

Given that you can access your my Virgin Media account, if I was in your position I would be faced with a difficult choice.

• If Outlook is currently working ok perhaps it would be worth waiting until VM (vi the forum team) give you more information
  • Or, you could take matters into your own hands and try resetting the password again yourself. I have posted the details of how to do that at the end of this post.

Personally, I think I would take the safe option and stick with just being able to access the account via Outlook until you get something definite back from VM. However, I think it is still worth having the "reset it yourself" option in your back pocket just in case and that's why I'm offering it up to you.

In the mean time, a member of the Forum Team should be contacting you via this thread.

Coenoby

Just in case you don't know how to reset the password yourself here's what to do:

Step 1
Sign in from this link https://my.virginmedia.com/home/signIn  using the VM email address and existing password of the account you wish to reset.

That will take you to the relevant "My Virgin Media" account for that email address.
Then click on the "Account settings" tab, then the "Account details" tab. Scroll down that page and you will see a place to edit (reset) the password.

Once you have changed the password leave it 20-30 minutes before trying to access the email account again.

Step 2
Virgin Media have recently made another change to their email service which means that when you reset a VM email password you now have to generate an app specific password to use instead or your webmail password when accessing that email address via any third party email apps or clients on all your devices.
To do that scroll down the "Accounts details" page to "Mailbox app password management." and click on "Manage".
You can then generate an app password which will be in the format: video-post-mossy-sharp
You will then need to enter that new app password (including the "-") into the password field in the email apps on your various devices.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @KeetDavies123 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

I am sorry to hear of the email issue. Thanks for providing the other details as well.

I'll send you a PM now to assist further.

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Thanks Coenoby