Menu
Bluesal
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Emails

I can receive but not send emails. When I go into settings I get the message ' cannot connect to outgoing server' ?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Edward_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Emails

Hi Bluesal, 

Would you mind confirming if this is an issue with Microsoft Outlook or Virgin's own email system? 

Thanks

Ed 

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello
Thank for joining in on the forum, we will try the best to get your issue resolved.

First I would suggest to following to find the error that you are getting on your email client :- Look here to get the error logs:- https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Outgoing-Authentication-Issues-Check-Email-Logs/td-p/3237..., if you do have an VM305 error then more than likely the spambot was asleep as spamhaus will automatically remove after 2 days of no spam activity, if error then follow :- https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Searching-for-Spambots-on-your-network/td-p/40...

You can check your listing yourself but there is no point requesting removal until you have found and deleted the spambot. https://www.spamhaus.org/query and type in your external IP you can gets this my typing "whats my ip" into google.

If you are running Hola VPN Free, then note But Hola Free VPN is anything but a VPN.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Bluesal
Tuning in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I've checked on spamhaus and my address has not been blocked 

0 Kudos
Bluesal
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Virgin

@blueyonder.co.uk

0 Kudos
Bluesal
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Virgin

@blueyonder.co.uk

0 Kudos
Bluesal
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Cant send emails

I can receive but can't send emails on all our different devices . When I look in email settings Iget a box that comes up ' Can not connect to out going server '

Haven't changed passwords. 

Can send and receive on webmail on Virgin media.

This happened last week and was resolved by Virgin and has now happened again. Has been 3 days now and still waiting for contact from 2nd tier tech team. 

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cant send emails

Hi Bluesal.

Being able to use webmail is a good sign!  At least your mailboxes are not locked and you can access your emails while we investigate.

I see you have already checked your IP address on spamhaus.org last week.  Were you able to check the authentication logs to get the EXACT VMxxx error code?  As there can be many reasons for email clients to give up, knowing the exact code would allow the community VIPs or Forum Team to advise you specifically.  Especially as it is affecting all devices in your household.  Do any of the devices work okay if NOT using wifi/broadband - that is, do they work if connected via mobile data?

Although a bit unusual to affect ALL devices and multiple email addresses, another thing you can check is that you are using the correct server settings:   https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Email-settings-change/td-p/3369438/ It may involve you DELETING the address from the email client account and restarting from fresh.  As long as you ar using IMAP, that is fine as  you are just synchronising with the VM mailbox on the server.

Can you tell us what types of devices and what email clients you are having trouble with?   Maybe we can work on them one at a time with you.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

What are your current outgoing email settings?

Tim

0 Kudos
Bluesal
Tuning in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for reply. Tech team have contacted me and told me that my account keeps getting automatically locked their end for some reason?

Annoying that it has happened twice in 10 days?