Menu
Rambo400
Joining in
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Emails won’t send

can’t send emails anymore keep getting password incorrect go to settings which I do re entered password word still won’t send 

0 Kudos
Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: Emails won’t send

Hi Rambo400,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and a warm welcome to you, I am sorry to hear you are having issues with email and logging into them .

So I can help further I will send you an invite into a private chat, please click on the purple envelope to accept.

Regards

Paul

0 Kudos
mikafire
Tuning in
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I have recently started having the same issue on all my devices. I've checked all my settings and they all seem OK but every time I send an email it says the server can't be reached or to put in my password (which hasn't changed)

I normally have my ntlworld email set up on a PC, android phone and a tablet so it can't be the devices as it does it on all of them.

My wife uses an additional ntlworld email I've created on my account on her Iphone and she has had the same issue, can receive but not send!!

I've tried phoning up Virgin and was told it's working on the site so they couldn't help with the issue. I was transferred to a 'tech help line' but got hung up after 5 minutes of waiting. Not impressed so far.

0 Kudos
Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi mikafire,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and a warm welcome to you, I am sorry to hear you are having issues with your email .

So I can help further I will send you an invite into a private chat, please click on the purple envelope to accept.

Regards

Paul

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

If this is happening on multiple devices, then it might suggest an error other than a simple password error.

However at last check VM have about 12 different errors that would give a password prompt when they happen.  Only one of those is down to an incorrect password.

Using the following command in a command window in most operating systems (including Windows 10)

curl -vs "smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com/" -u "myaddress@blueyonder.co.uk:mypassword" 2>&1 | findstr "VM"

Will allow us to see exactly what error you are getting e.g.:

curl -vs "smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com/" -u "myaddress@blueyonder.co.uk:mypassword" 2>&1 | findstr "VM"
< 535 5.7.8 Authentication Credentials Invalid (VM300)

Note: replace myaddress@blueyonder.co.uk with your real email address and mypassword with your real password.

The findstr command ensures that only a line with a VM code will be output.  It's that line we need to see.

Here's a different error produced by the same command - in my case this second one was expected due to specific circumstances.

< 525 5.7.13 Authentication Denied (VM321)

Both of the above errors would throw up a password prompt in most email clients.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
mikafire
Tuning in
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Thanks ravenstar68

Not a techy as such but gave it a go, it came up with the following error

525 5.7.13 Authentication Denied (VM305)

To give the problem some context, I think my troubles started when I upgraded from my full house bundle to the Oomph bundle

Other things I've found out through experimenting a bit

Things that work

Android MS Outlook

Iphone Outlook

Things that don't work

PC Outlook

Android default mail

Iphone default mail

Iphone Sparkle mail app

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hello

VM305 basically means that something on your home network is sending spam your external IP address has been added to a blacklist by spamhaus, you are going to need to follow https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Searching-for-Spambots-on-your-network/td-p/40... to find and destroy the spambot.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
mikafire
Tuning in
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I installed Wireshark ran it through my Ethernet connection and came up with about 36 lines that are black with pink writing. I'm assuming this is the spambot doing it's evil work.

How do I go about getting rid?

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

It's not necessarily the spambot.  Black background with pink text is just used for a certain class of TCP packets in the capture: for example keep alive ACK and duplicate ACK.  You sometimes see them when the telnet connection is left open. (You did remember to close down telnet before checking proper).

Tim.

0 Kudos
mikafire
Tuning in
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I clicked the stop button and then started it again. This time I also closed the black command box and now nothing comes up?

0 Kudos