Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Emails repeated after deletion

I am using Outlook on my PC and email on my i-phone.  It has worked fine for ages.  But now when I delete emails on my phone or in outlook [it syncs fine] the emails are sent again from the Virgin server.  I have always kept the original emails on the server.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: Emails repeated after deletion

When you delete an email does your other client Outlook or Mail reflect the deletion and is that the same in webmail?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply it is appreciated.  Sorry for my delay in replying.  When I delete a message on my I-phone the message on the PC [Outlook] deletes straight away.  When I delete a message in PC [Outlook] the message is deleted on the I-phone after it updates.   I come out of email on the phone go straight back in and the messages are deleted.  What I am doing at the moment, is going in to the Virgin application and deleting.  [When I delete in outlook or the phone the original message remains on the server this is what has always happened.  To keep things tidy on the server I would delete the messages every few months].  It seems strange that this has occurred after working ok for a few years and apparently no changes to anything.     

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

@Whitehall1 wrote:

… [When I delete in outlook or the phone the original message remains on the server this is what has always happened.  To keep things tidy on the server I would delete the messages every few months] .…

Expected behaviour for the scenario you described would be: (a) deleted message moved to Trash folder on client; (b) client syncs change to server; (c) other clients sync change from server;

By “keep things tidy on the server” do you mean that you would sign into webmail and permanently delete the emails from the Trash folder or other folders; if the latter, were these email listing crossed out (with a strike-through line)?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

By “keep things tidy on the server” do you mean that you would sign into webmail and permanently delete the emails from the Trash folder or other folders; if the latter, were these email listing crossed out (with a strike-through line)?

I mean I would sign into webmail and delete the emails from the in-box.  The emails stay in the in-box permanently [can add up to hundreds] even after I have made deletions in outlook or on the phone. There is no strike through.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

That is odd because the path by which Outlook / Mail communicate change is via the email server; they never communicate directly with each other.

Can you confirm Outlook and Mail (on the iPhone) are configured to use IMAP?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

When it was working correctly, over the past couple of years, the original email has always stayed on the server in the in-box.  I would delete the emails on the phone or outlook and they would go into the "deleted items folder" in outlook.  But they would always remain on the server until I went in and deleted them manually.  I would never have the original emails downloaded again after deleting them in outlook.  I think Outlook is using POP and iphone is using POP.  I am using a basic outlook.  I have always had 2 email accounts on the same outlook one is my blueyonder virgin account and the other one is a Live account which I think is using IMAP.  They both have separate in-boxes.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Should clarify the following in last message = "I would never have the original emails downloaded again after deleting them in outlook." But now I do have them downloaded after deleting.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Most email clients (like Outlook and Mail) will default to use IMAP and manual intervention is required to use POP.  Can you confirm Outlook and Mail are configured to use POP?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

On my version of outlook I am choosing - View all Outlook settings - sync email.  On this form there is a section under the heading POP and IMAP and the Pop option "Let devices and apps use POP" this is selected as NO.  Then it shows the POP setting as disabled and it then shows the IMAP setting and the SMTP setting.  However there is a section above this with the heading "Manage your connected accounts".  When I choose edit it shows the incoming pop server as pop3.blueyonder.  I have looked at my iphone again and cannot establish with certainty what it is using.   

0 Kudos