Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Emails not sending

I can't send emails from my tablet or phone (both Samsung) although I am receiving fine. They sit in the outbox with a message saying they will send when I am connected to a network, but the internet is connected. I have tried restarting everything (including the router) but no change. And both show I am connected to the network. I tried from my work PC and it went straight away. This is really annoying as I have a stressed son at Uni and I spent 45 mins composing a soothing email which disappeared when I tried to resend it!

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Emails not sending

Hello mazdauk

Firstly, you may find you are able to send via webmail on a web browser at home, as that uses different servers to email clients.  Also, you may be able to send using the email client if you turn off your wi-fi and use the data connection from your mobile device (smartphone or tablet)  or try away from home on someone else's wifi (friend or public place)

Please let us know if any of these is true.

But you need to find out exactly why.  The community needs the error code to be absolutely sure, but I suspect that your home external IP address is on the spamhaus.org blacklist, used by VM to block infected networks.

You can check on https://www.spamhaus.org/lookup/ and tell us which list you are on (PBL is normal, SBL /CSS or XBL are not good)  Don't tell us your IP address, just the listing.

If you have a PC/laptop with Outlook or can download thunderbird for free - you can get a VM error code - it will look like VMxxx.  Instructions here: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Outgoing-Authentication-Issues-Check-Email-Logs/td-p/3237...

When you tell us the error code we can assist with diagnosing and getting your network back in shape.  The VIP community users have a list of the codes.  Please tell us what you find out and we will help.  Best wishes!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thank you, I will check when I get home what the IP is. However I do have AVG on both appliances and none fo the scans have ever found anything untoward, so it is a bit odd.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@mazdauk wrote:

Thank you, I will check when I get home what the IP is. However I do have AVG on both appliances and none fo the scans have ever found anything untoward, so it is a bit odd.

I commiserate, truly I do, but I enjoy reading these forum posts and trying to learn from them.  What I have learned is this:

The past few months have seen many people posting here with a spamhaus blacklist issue (VM305 error code) and most of them have various security software pre-installed or have used new ones when they realised the problem.  No one has come back to say - "Aha - I found the malware and deleted it using security software".  A few of our VIP members (ravenstar68 in particular) have devised a way to find the malware.  I am hoping that some of the people affected and assisted have passed this information to their security software providers so that the detection methods can be improved.  But perhaps it is early days yet.

And who knows what else the malware is doing besides sending spam - it could be harvesting your data!

And it is not necessarily your main device that has the problem.  It could be anything that can connect to the internet.  We have found firesticks, smart tv, mobile phone.  For all we know - it could be a doorbell! ( I hope I am joking! ).

We are here to help - just be patient - most of us are simply customers like you who volunteer our knowledge to spread goodwill.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I'm not dismissing anything as a possible cause, I just need a brain free of work issues to check out what has been raised and let the experts advise me. Really hope it's something easily fixed.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

HI mazdauk, 

Thank you for your post and welcome to the forums. 

Upon reading through the thread I can see that you've not posted back, is this issue fixed? 

Cheers. 

Ryan_N - Forum Team - https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/custom/page/page-id/WelcomeGoodFolk
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Busy weekend. Still having prob sending from the app on tablet and phone, but can send if I go through chrome. WhatsApp also not sending from home today.

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

The IP is not listed on spamhaus

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for updating us.

Could we please confirm if you were able to send and receive emails through web-mail when you say you can do so through Chrome? 

Could we also confirm if the email address is attached to an active account with us?

If you have no issues through web-mail could you please try remove your email from the tablet and phone, then set this back up using the information we have here.

Thank you, Emily.

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

This is an active email address. I do not thing the app can be removed from the tablet and phone, there is no uninstall option only a "force stop", which my son said he did not recommend as it can cause wider issues. I've also had issues with whatsapp not going through when I am at home.

0 Kudos