Menu
Dizbeans1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Emails not loading properly

Hi, tonight having issues viewing e-mails in Outlook. E-mails download but main body of e-mail does not appear.

Strange as my wife has same issue on separate laptop and separate e-mail account, both Blueyonder accounts.

Any answers?

0 Kudos
coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Emails not loading properly

@Dizbeans1 wrote:

having issues viewing e-mails in Outlook. E-mails download but main body of e-mail does not appear.

Any answers?

That sounds like an Outlook problem but you could check that by both signing in to your Virgin Media email accounts from here: https://mail2.virginmedia.com/  I am pretty sure you will find the emails display correctly there.

Assuming that they do, you need to do some checks with Outlook. My first thought is a possible problem with the so called 'Add-ins' in your respective installations of Outlook. These are small programs often installed automatically by Microsoft or other developers to help speed up the way Outlook integrates with other software. Occasionally, these play up and cause issues with the way Outlook works.  For example, a little while ago an Add-in installed by the AVG antivirus suite caused a similar issue to the one you are seeing.

The thing to do is to disable those Add-ins and see if that solves the problem. Unfortunately, if it is caused by an Add-in I  would not expect disabling the problem Add-in to restore the missing email bodies in emails you have already unloaded.

You can manage Add-ins by:

1) Clicking on "File" in the top left of the main Outlook screen

2) Then scroll down the menu on the left of the screen and click on "Options"

3) A pop up window will display, scroll down the menu at the side and click on "Add-ins" at the bottom of the menu

4) A new page will be displayed. At the bottom make sure that "COM Add-ins" is selected and then click on "GO"

addins.png

5) You will then see a pop up window listing all the Add-ins that are installed. Make a note of all those that have a tick against them, these are the ones that are currently enabled.

6) Then untick them all so that all Add-ins are now disabled.

7) Click ok to return back to the main Outlook screen and exit/close down Outlook. When you restart none of the Add-ins will be running.

You could then try sending an email to yourselves from your Webmail account to check if the body of the email displays when Outlook downloads it.

If the email displays ok you know it is one of the Add-ins that was causing the problem and you can the repeat this process to re-enable each of the Add-ins you noted earlier one at a time to find which one is causing the problem.

If you both have AVG installed on your machines and you both find that have an AVG Add-in currently enabled, you could as a first step just disable that Add-in to check whether that puts things right. Remember though that you will need to restart Outlook before checking new emails to see if they display correctly.

Have a go at that and see.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Dizbeans1 wrote:

having issues viewing e-mails in Outlook. E-mails download but main body of e-mail does not appear.

I thought I would come back just to relate my experience just now with my own copy of Outlook.

Soon after posting my earlier reply to you I 'hibernated' my laptop leaving Outlook still open.

A few minutes ago I came back to it, went back to Outlook and discovered that all my emails from a variety of different email providers no longer displayed the main email body. After an initial shock I closed Outlook down and then restarted it. Thankfully all the emails now display properly.

So perhaps your copies of Outlook have made a similar miraculous recovery without further intervention?

Personally I have never experienced that before in my 12/15 years of using various editions of Outlook. My opinion is that as an email client Outlook is ok but certainly by no means bullet proof.🤔

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Dizbeans1
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Coenoby

Interesting that you experienced the same issue.

I realised that there was a Window Update outstanding, so allowed that to happen late last night but did not go into Windows / Outlook. I can confirm that whatever the issue was last night, it has fixed its self.

My wifes Outlook was fine this morning (without the Update).

I will keep a note of your original advice incase it is required at a later date.

Regards

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Dizbeans1 wrote:

Thank you Coenoby

And thank you for coming back and letting us know the outcome. I'm glad it is sorted now.

As you are probably aware there is a lot of good advice regarding Outlook issues online, Google (or your search engine of choice) is  your friend in this case. Advice from the Microsoft forums is very good but be wary of any sites that suggest downloading software to resolve the problem.

Coenoby

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Superstar
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

This article may provide some explanation as to the cause, and rectification, of the Outlook issue.

https://www.theregister.com/2021/05/12/outlook_outage_patch/

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.
Serena_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi @Dizbeans1

Welcome back to the forums 🙂

Thank you for your post regarding emails in Outlook not loading properly, I'm glad to hear that emails are now loading properly in Outlook for you and your wife again.

If you have any further issues, please do let us know.

Best wishes,

Serena

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Superstar
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Microsoft sheds some light on perplexing Outlook blank email incident: Word was to blame

https://www.theregister.com/2021/05/17/outlook_incident_report/

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.
0 Kudos