Menu
LauraLawrie
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Emails not delivered

I’ve had a blueyonder email address for 20yrs without any problem but recently a few emails have not been delivered. One of the senders ( ancestry.co.uk) assured me that they had sent emails and with me speaking to them they sent another two to check that they were being delivered which they were not. This week same story with holiday confirmation emails.
I spoke with Virgin who advised to reset network settings and to ensure that my emails were not being forwarded to another address. I have followed both but no change. The holiday company confirmed my email address and resent the confirmation but still not received. Now at a loss what to do next. I’m receiving other emails without any problem. Can anyone help please ? 

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Emails not delivered

@LauraLawrie wrote:

I spoke with Virgin who advised to reset network settings and to ensure that my emails were not being forwarded to another address.

Your mention of "network settings" implies that you are using an email app to manage your email  rather than the Virgin Media Webmail service on the VM website.

I would suggest that you use your email address and password to sign in to your VM webmail account from here https://my.virginmedia.com 

If you have not done so already you should check whether those missing emails are in the spam folder in your Webmail account. Depending on the settings in your email app it is possible that if the VM spam filter has flagged these genuine emails as spam they  may not appear in your email app.

Next,  click the system menu icon   on the right side of the menu bar and click Settings.

Then  expand the E-mail options and select Filter Rules.

That filter rules option will show any rules that have been set up. If there are rules there that you did not set up yourself then your email account may have been hacked so post back here and we'll let you know what to do. I don't think that's the case here but best to check.

However, in the event you have set up rules, perhaps to pick up spam emails that VM miss, then I would suggest that you disable them. You can then see if any new emails from Ancestry do come through ok.

Let us know what you find. 🙂

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
LauraLawrie
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Coenoby

Thanks for your reply. I have followed your advice but no change unfortunately. Last night I asked the hotel to resend me their email and also to my husbands’s email. He received his but I didn’t. I’m at a loss what to do next. Any further suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

Laura

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@LauraLawrie wrote:

Any further suggestions would be appreciated.

Is your husband's email account also a Virgin Media account or another provider such as Gmail?

Also, when you say "I have followed your advice but no change" does that mean that you have checked there are no filter rules set in your Webmail account? Sorry to be pedantic but I have been caught out before by assuming I know what someone really means 😧

As for next steps:

I would just check in your Webmail account to see whether the email from the hotel is in the spam folder of your webmail account. VM automatically delete spam emails after 30 days which may be why the earlier ones were not there when you checked.

Failing that the next thing is to contact the senders and ask them for any error (unable to deliver) messages they received after sending an email to you. Ideally ask then to forward them to your husband's account.

Unfortunately from experience companies are often unwilling to help because in their view "we are sending them ok - the problem is at your end".  The fact is though that without the details of a specific email VM cannot hope to identify the issue. It would be like looking for a unique needle in a very large number of haystacks.

The reason you are not receiving those emails could be that the sender's ip address is on a blacklist and VM are blocking the emails. Or possibly the sender is using a third party email service to send emails and to VM they appear to be fraudulent /spoofed emails. Or it could be something else!

Whatever the reason, VM will need the exact details of a specific email that has gone missing before they can investigate. ☹️

Coenoby

If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
LauraLawrie
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again, yes I used VM webmail account to sign in and checked spam folder.I also followed email options and selected Filter Rules. 
My husband has a hotmail email. 
my concern is that I have previously received emails from the hotel and ancestry so have no idea why there is a problem now. The hotel did not get any message that the email was undeliverable. I think it unlikely that ancestry.co.uk would be on a blacklist. Do I need a new email address ? I’m reluctant , I’ve used this as long as I’ve been a VM customer i.e. 23 years. When I phoned VM the lady said that even if I gave her details of the sender of the email she wouldn’t be unable to view my emails. Not sure where I go from here.

thanks

Laura

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@LauraLawrie wrote:

Thanks for clarifying things regarding your husband's email account and what you have actually checked in your account.

"Not sure where I go from here."

All I can say is that there have been cases like yours posted here in the past where the VM security team have been able to identify and resolve the issue once they have the details from the original sender.

As regards your specific comments:

"I have previously received emails from the hotel and ancestry so have no idea why there is a problem now."

Well, VM may have introduced tighter checking so their emails now get blocked or the hotel and ancestry may have changed their email system. Nothing stands still for long in the IT world does it?

"I think it unlikely that ancestry.co.uk would be on a blacklist."

It is the email server / IP address that gets blocked not the company itself. Believe me, any email sender can get on a blacklist. There have been cases where VM emails have been blocked by other companies because one of VM's email servers has been blacklisted.

"When I phoned VM the lady said that even if I gave her details of the sender of the email she wouldn’t be unable to view my emails"

In my opinion the lady was fobbing you off, pure and simple. Customer service agents are past masters at that when faced with a problem they don't understand.😮 Issues like yours need to be passed on to the VM security team by the first line agent. 

"The hotel did not get any message that the email was undeliverable"

Well done for asking.I may be cynical but the phrase "fobbing off" comes to mind again. As I said in my last post in these circumstances many senders see it as your problem and they are busy enough without searching for error messages just to help someone whose email does not work. It's easier just to say "we did not get one". Perhaps I'm being unfair but that's the reality I think. Just to introduce a bit of balance, some companies do filter out such error messages. So, if you were talking to one of the booking reservation team for example, he or she might never see an undeliverable message in their inbox,

"Do I need a new email address ?"

I have been a customer of VM  for years but I only ever use my ntlworld.com address for communications from VM or for testing purposes when I am trying to help posters here. VM 's email service is very basic, lacks the kind of security that we all need today and does have it's quirks. Using a VM email address also acts as a disincentive to change broadband provider because VM email accounts are deleted 90 days after your close your broadband contract. Some people cannot face the hassle involved in updating all their online accounts and advising all their contacts of a new address and just stick with VM for a simple life.

All I can say is setting up a new email address with a dedicated email service would be a great idea. 👍

Coenoby

LauraLawrie
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thank you so much, I think I will set up a new email. I really appreciate the time you’ve taken to clearly explain everything.

All the best 

Laura

Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Laura, 

Welcome to the Community Forums 🙂 I'm sorry to hear you've been having some problems receiving/sending certain emails.

I can see that coenoby has done his best to help out from here. As advised, we should be able to find out what is triggering the email to be blocked after speaking with our Internet Security Team. We'd be more than happy to investigate this further for you. Kindly pop me a PM if you'd like me to take a look.

Kind regards,

Beth

0 Kudos
LauraLawrie
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Beth

Thank you for getting in touch, I’d appreciate it if you could ascertain what the problem is as I’m concerned I’m missing important emails.

Thank you

Laura

0 Kudos
David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Good Afternoon LauraLawrie,

Thanks for coming back to the thread.

I'm not sure if you've sent Beth_G a private message or not, but I'd be happy to take a look into this, if you would still like this to be investigated.

Check out the purple envelope in the top right hand corner for my message. If you have been in dialogue with Beth_G already, please discard my message and continue to liaise with her

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

0 Kudos