cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emails from a particular sender aren't being received

moggyman
Up to speed

I am a member of Ancestry.co.uk. When someone posts a message to me in that account, I am supposed to get an email confirmation sent to my blueyonder.co.uk email address. I don't receive them. I've talked to their Support people who have double-checked there are no typos in my email details and I'm told that it's OK. They confirm that notifications were indeed sent and they received no notifications of delivery failure.

I've checked my blacklist and the sending address isn't there. The emails don't end up in Spam either. However, I got them to resend a notification I should have received in my blueyonder.co.uk Inbox last Sunday, to my Google Mail address and the email arrived straight away.

Can anyone suggest where the problem might be? At the time of writing, I'm sitting in a Chat queue and I'm not hopeful of reaching an agent any time soon, let alone one who knows the ins-and-outs of the email system.

Thanks.

41 REPLIES 41

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@moggyman wrote:
Unfortunately, it seems to be very difficult to speak to anyone at Ancestry who can provide this sort of information. I think there's another level behind the basic support agents offered to subscribers .....

A hint at one possible complication for Ancestry's basic support agents appears in your earlier post:

"spf=pass (google.com: domain of bounce-67_html-16882259-66378-10958478-3857646@bounce.email.ancestry.com designates 13.111.33.33 as permitted sender"

Looking at the spf for ancestry.co.uk shows that has a completely different set of permitted sending IP's. That in itself is not a problem of course.

However, doing a quick reverse lookup on the 13.111.33.33 shows that IP is allocated to Salesforce.com who are a major US customer relationship management company. That suggests  Ancestry use Salesforce to handle some aspects of their email communications (using the email.ancestry.co.uk address)  while, presumably, the rest (the ancestry.co.uk side) is handled in house.

It's very likely that the Ancestry staff may have limited access to, or understanding of the intricacies of, the Salesforce email system.

It's also possible that Salesforce have made a recent change to their setup which now causes incoming email.ancestry.co.uk emails to 'look suspicious' to VM. 

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi @moggyman

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

I'm going to feed this to our IT team to have this investigated on our part to see if there's anything we can do, I will be sure to update via this thread if I hear anything back from the team.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Many thanks

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Happy to help @moggyman!

Please stay tuned for further updates regarding your emails.

Kind regards,

Serena

Further to my post of last year, this problem appears to be getting worse and I'm beginning to worry how many emails aren't getting through to me on my main blueyonder email address.

Not only were the Ancestry.com emails not getting received or put in Spam, but I also had to change my contact address on the MoneySavingExpert website to my googlemail account in order to get the weekly update emails again. Also, I bought a new TV yesterday and had to register for an LG account but the 'confirm your email address' email they tried to send simply wouldn't arrive at my blueyonder address. I changed it to googlemail and it came straight through.

What on earth is going on? 

Hi moggyman, thanks for the message and sorry to hear that you are having issues with the emails, is this being accessed via a client? Please see the following link here to set the emails up through a client and let us know if you are still getting the same issue?. ^Chris

I normally just reference my Outlook install on Windows 10 but I also log in to the VM web client daily to check/clear the Spam folder and to check 2 other accounts I have (one googlemail.com and one virginmedia.com) because, for reasons unknown to me, Outlook either doesn't pull emails to those accounts down to the PC or the web client doesn't send them. That's another niggle but for the purpose of this non-delivery issue, assume that I am accessing the web client directly and the aforementioned messages just don't arrive there.

Thanks

PS. I can provide examples of emails that arrived successfully (from the 3 senders I've mentioned) to my googlemail address, if the header information would be useful.

Hi @moggyman

I'm re-raising this with IT, i'll be in touch as soon as I receive a response.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thank you.