Menu
allen-uk
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Emails disappearing from webpage

I usually just see my emails coming in to my various accounts (Mac) from @ntlworld, @virginmedia, and @yahoo.com. No problems.

But lately ones that I was expecting to an ..@ntlworld.com address didn't appear, so I checked on the Virgin webpage, and there they were, four of them. I replied to one, fine, but when I went back to the web page the next day the other ones weren't there.

Tried spam, trash, etc., etc., but nowhere to be found.

Is it a 'settings' issue, or have I pressed a button in error.

Ideas welcomed.

Allen.

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Well-informed
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Emails disappearing from webpage

Check for signs of tampering first: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-my-email-has-been-hacked

Then come back if you are still having problems and we can further diagnose.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'
0 Kudos
MissPasko
Well-informed
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Some other ideas to consider: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Disappearing-Emails/m-p/3855434

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Email-Boxes-Disappear/m-p/4054461

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Emails-disappearing/m-p/3979595

Let us know what works, as this may help other users in future.

0 Kudos
allen-uk
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks MissPasko. I'll work my way through your links, and report back when I get to the end...

Allen.

0 Kudos
allen-uk
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hello.

Not much further forward, yet. The two freebie malware scans were both for PCs (I should have emphasised that I am a Mac user). Anyway, I have Norton and Malwarebytes, and both said I was clean.

Couldn't see anything untoward with the account, but I changed the password etc anyway (although Virgin STILL won't let us have longer than ten-character passwords; most of mine are 24+ for other things). The other suggestions re. settings on the web page: well, all examined, and I've instated an email-forward address so that incoming emails will be sent through to a separate account (hopefully).

The only possible solution might lie in the browser. I've switched from Safari (preferred) to Chrome (not liked) for now, and I'll stick with it for a few weeks and keep an eye on what happens.

Thanks for the interest, and I will come back as there's more to report.

Allen.

0 Kudos
allen-uk
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Well, progress of sorts.

Test emails from my Mac went through like rockets, no problems. There they are on Chrome, there they are in my inbox.

But when I got to the Chrome web page, there was an email from a '@user.trashnothing.com' address (Freecycle, and I've been having emails going astray from that address lately), and oddly, the email was 'crossed out' - i.e., had a line through it. That email HADN'T come through to my Mac.

I forwarded it to one of my known email addresses, and it came through to my Mac, fine.

But nothing through either on that one, or on the test from me, to my 'autoforward' address; not a sausage. The autoforward address is a @yahoo.com. Would that make any difference?

Allen.

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Well-informed
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Now we are getting beyond my ken!  I'm sure one of the superusers or the Forum Team will know more about why this is happening!  Just be patient.  Best wishes.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@allen-uk wrote:

Well, progress of sorts.

Test emails from my Mac went through like rockets, no problems. There they are on Chrome, there they are in my inbox.

But when I got to the Chrome web page, there was an email from a '@user.trashnothing.com' address (Freecycle, and I've been having emails going astray from that address lately), and oddly, the email was 'crossed out' - i.e., had a line through it. That email HADN'T come through to my Mac.

I forwarded it to one of my known email addresses, and it came through to my Mac, fine.

But nothing through either on that one, or on the test from me, to my 'autoforward' address; not a sausage. The autoforward address is a @yahoo.com. Would that make any difference?

Allen.

Emails vanishing from the inbox seems to be a thing for the stock mac email client.  Here's a possible solution.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7984671

Incidentally the "crossed out" email would appear to suggest that the mail was deleted by an email client - (most likely Mac Mail) but the folder has not yet been purged.

Mails in this state won't show on the Mac by default but they can be retrieved:

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-recover-deleted-email-messages-from-a-mac

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
allen-uk
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Tim, you write: "Incidentally the "crossed out" email would appear to suggest that the mail was deleted by an email client - (most likely Mac Mail) but the folder has not yet been purged."

Now, although English is my first language (and has been for more than 70 years), I am having trouble with that sentence!

An 'email client'. Why/who/what? Why would they cross out my messages? What function is being performed? Similarly, 'purged'. Over the years, I've hit the 'rebuild' button sometimes, but never really known what it did/does.

Sorry to ask you to explain these things, but I would like email to become less of a mystery to me...

Allen.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

An email client is any email program which includes Mac Mail.

In IMAP deleting email is a two stage process.  The crossed out email suggests that you use IMAP on Mac Mail.

1. Mail is marked for deletion.
2. The mail program expunges the folder which actually deletes the marked emails from the system.

In some cases, depending on circumstances, a mail may be marked for deletion but not actually expunged.  These mails remain on the system and by default, most email programs hide such mails, but as noted above you can still view such mail in Mac Mail by going to view and show deleted mails.

Once the mail is visible you can then right click it in Mac Mail and select undelete.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.