Menu
JuliaS55
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Emails disappeared from inbox

My partner's blueyonder account is not displaying emails in her inbox (apart from a few received today). She uses an iPad.  I am foxed!  Online it is the same.  I can see that the 'chats' folder still has a lot of her emails, but not all of them and she's desperate to restore all the ones that she had until this morning.

Any help or suggestions gratefully received.  

0 Kudos
coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Emails disappeared from inbox

@JuliaS55 wrote:

Any help or suggestions gratefully received.  

It is not good news I'm afraid. If those emails are not showing in your partner's online VM webmail account then they are gone for good.  However, it would be worth checking in the Trash folder online to see if they are still there.

If your partner uses an email app to manage emails on their iPad that will be using the standard IMAP protocol to keep the emails and email folders on the email app and the VM online account in sync. The downside is that if any emails are inadvertently deleted from the email app they will almost instantaneously be deleted from the VM online account as well.

VM do not keep backups of emails so any emails deleted from the online VM account cannot be recovered.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
JuliaS55
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thank you so much for replying - I really appreciated it.  Very fortunately I eventually discovered all the emails - they were in a 'chats' folder online!  Although I'm sure I'd looked there earlier and they weren't there then.  Anyway, I managed to return them to the inbox, where they have stayed. Who knows why or how this happened, but my partner is hugely relieved to have them back.  

0 Kudos
coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@JuliaS55 wrote:

Who knows why or how this happened, but my partner is hugely relieved to have them back.  

Great to hear that those emails were still available. Thanks for that update.

I don't want to labour this but having had this scare it might be a good idea to think about setting up a back up plan, for yourself as well as your partner, to store backup copies of your emails in a safe place so you don't rely totally on your email apps and the VM server to keep your emails safe

I don't having any experience of using Apple products so can't give you any specific advice. However an online search for suitable products and tools might give you some ideas. 😉

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos