Menu
THazlett
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Emails delayed from Virgin mailbox to my POP client

Hi

In the last couple of days emails are being delayed by about 12 hours when trying to download to my Outlook (POP) client, I can see them in webmail or in my phone client but they will not download. I can't confirm that it is every email but definitely a majority.
Nothing has been changed on my machine.

Thank you

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Emails delayed from Virgin mailbox to my POP client

@THazlett wrote:

In the last couple of days emails are being delayed by about 12 hours when trying to download to my Outlook (POP) client,

That is intriguing but without more detail it is impossible to say what's going on.

Rather than being delayed for 12 hours I would think it more likely that at some point Outlook is encountering an intermittent error which prevents it downloading. Then, perhaps after you have restarted the device, the next time you open Outlook the error has cleared and it is now able to download successfully.

When you click on Send / Receive in Outlook do you get any error messages coming up? A common one in this situation might be "Error 0x80042108 -  Outlook is unable to connect to your incoming (POP3) e-mail server"?

By the way, I would never say "Nothing has been changed on my machine". A Windows update, an update to Outlook, an update to your Anti virus or a file corruption within Outlook itself can cause all sorts of changes and strange behaviour without advertising the specific changes they have made. 😉

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
THazlett
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

No errors at all, I have shutdown Outlook (as well as a complete computer restart) and opened with no change (I am a long time IT professional so have only logged this as a last resort).
And as I said it is not all emails, after logging this I checked again and had new emails in my webmail view but only one had downloaded with others just sitting there.
I would like to know if other users with POP clients are having issues (they may not even notice, I did because I viewed it on my phone and wondered where those emails were on my laptop), or if VM have changed any POP settings on their servers.

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

If an email message has in some way become corrupt it can lead to subsequent emails received in webmail not downloading to an email client using POP.  Does this match your situation or is it more random.  If you delete the email causing the problem subsequent emails should begin to flow again into your email client.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@THazlett wrote:

I would like to know if other users with POP clients are having issues (they may not even notice,

Just for the record I use POP3 with my Ntlworld email address and am not seeing this issue at all.

On the other hand I use IMAP with a Virginmedia.com account and it is not unusual for Outlook to report that it cannot synchronise and then a few minutes later it works fine. I know that's not related to your issue it is just that in my experience the VM POP3 servers are more reliable than the IMAP ones.

Coenoby

If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@coenoby wrote:

@THazlett wrote:

I would like to know if other users with POP clients are having issues (they may not even notice,

Just for the record I use POP3 with my Ntlworld email address and am not seeing this issue at all.

On the other hand I use IMAP with a Virginmedia.com account and it is not unusual for Outlook to report that it cannot synchronise and then a few minutes later it works fine. I know that's not related to your issue it is just that in my experience the VM POP3 servers are more reliable than the IMAP ones.

Coenoby

Having said that POP3 seems more reliable, I am going to back track slightly.

VM have implemented POP3 in a non standard way - see here https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/POP3-Behaviour/td-p/2994032 

Rather than delete emails from the server which is what POP3 was originally intended to do when the protocol was first developed, they "hide" messages from the email client. In conjunction with the kind of issues that Graham_A outlined in his post that could be the cause of emails not being picked up by Outlook because they have been flagged as being downloaded already

You will see in the post I linked to that VM actually recommend users to use IMAP rather than POP3 with their VM email accounts.

Coenoby

0 Kudos
THazlett
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Outlook is reporting no errors, does a 'receiving' task quite happily.

Another check and I am getting an error now and no emails seem to be coming down at all (not even from this forum's notifications even though I got a password reset one a few hours earlier).

0x80040600 so chasing MS links now.

0 Kudos
THazlett
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Well after I received an error message a quick bit of testing and a repaired pst file and all sorted. It must have intermittently been failing and finally failed totally today, and gave the error message, while I was posting here.

Thanks for everyone jumping in with ideas.

coenoby
Super solver
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@THazlett wrote:

Thanks for everyone jumping in with ideas.

Glad you got it sorted. Thanks for letting us know.

Coenoby

0 Kudos