Menu
andybrad
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Emails cannot be sent

Hi 

My VM email account will not let me send any emails, despite the fact they receive emails OK.

It was fine until about a day ago, and I haven't changed any setting, passwords, etc.

Can anyone help.  I read it could be an LDAP error at VM's end??

Thanks

Andy

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Emails cannot be sent

Are you using VM webmail?  Or an email client?  Which one/what device?  There can be many reasons, but the client won't always tell you, please try to get the specific error code (VMxxx), and we can help with diagnosis.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Outgoing-Authentication-Issues-Check-Email-Logs/td-p/3237...

Also, please check you are using the recommended settings in your client: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Outgoing-Authentication-Issues-Check-Email-Logs/td-p/3237...

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
andybrad
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi MissPasko

Thanks for your reply.

I am using MS Outlook, and Apple email (on both iMac and iPhone).  In all cases, I get asked to check my email/login and password.

The code Outlook is giving me is:

525 5.7.13 Authentication Denied (VM305)

Thanks

Andy

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Oh dear, the VM305 error code means that VM are blocking your email client because you are on a spamhaus listing.  The listing is for addresses that have been proven to send spam.

Not you personally and you would not see it or know it - but your network has a spambot.  Here is how to find it.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Searching-for-Spambots-on-your-network/td-p/40...

If you have important email to send, you can log on to webmail and that will work, as webmail goes more securely and through different servers.  But don't delay in doing the search - who knows what other malware has been installed on your home network, plus your system is spamming the world!  When you have cleared your system, the spamhaus listing will automatically (maybe 24 hours?) change and VM will let your client work again.

Common culprits are HOLA free VPN, Amazon firesticks with rogue software, smart TV, anything that connects to the internet is a suspect.  Best wishes, let us know if you require assistance.  We want you safe again.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

andybrad
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks.  I'll have a look into this.

andybrad
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

This now seems to be resolved, although I must say it is still a bit of a mystery - both what caused the issue and also what resolved it!

0 Kudos