Menu
Pegasus2711
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Emails bouncing back as Spam

When sending emails to colleagues via website contact (e.g. secretary@someorg.co.uk) I've been getting bounce backs from the 3 addresses. I'm a VM customer with email address ....@virginmedia.com using AppleMail.

The message includes: "550:550 The sending IP (80.0.xxx.xx) is listed on https://spamrl.com/. Please resolve this and retry." 

Strange thing is that the message states the IP address is registered as generating too much spam/phishing/whatever BUT the IP address is not my IP address. (mine starts with 82). Using a search for this offending IP address shows it is physically located about 5 miles away.

So why am I being blocked and why does spamrl think my IP address is 80.0.xxx.xx?

Paul

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Emails bouncing back as Spam

@Pegasus2711 wrote:

So why am I being blocked and why does spamrl think my IP address is 80.0.xxx.xx

The answer is that it is not you specifically that is being blocked.

The 80.0.xxx.xx IP address will be that of one of VM's outgoing mail relays in the UK. That is the IP address that is being used to deliver your email and it is being blocked by the recipient's email provider. Your own IP address does not actually send the email.

I seem to remember that this error has come up in the past and it turned out that spmri were being too strict when they included VM's relay on their blacklist. The problem may just go away or it may need to be actioned by one of the Forum Team when they pick up on this thread.

As I said it is the recipient's email provider that is using the spamri blacklist not VM.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
Pegasus2711
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Coenoby for clarifying that for me.

I've used the spamrl "delist" form and also that with Hostkarma. This will only delist for 7 days but they indicate the delist may last longer. If it doesn't I'll contact the websites hosting service so they can "trust" the IP. If that doesn't work it'll be something for the VM team to resolve.

Paul

coenoby
Super solver
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@Pegasus2711 wrote:

I've used the spamrl "delist" form and also that with Hostkarma. This will only delist for 7 days but they indicate the delist may last longer. If it doesn't I'll contact the websites hosting service so they can "trust" the IP. If that doesn't work it'll be something for the VM team to resolve.

Well done. 👍

Most of those blacklists tend to be quite dynamic with blacklisting and delisting addresses but I don't know about spamri specifically.

If it does happen again then certainly post back here because as you say it will need the VM security team to take action.

Great to see someone being proactive rather than sitting back and waiting for someone else to sort it out.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
Pegasus2711
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I've got the website to 'Trust' the offending IP address. Emails getting through OK. If problem returns I'll get back to VM.

Paul

0 Kudos