Menu
lajoie
Tuning in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Emails being deleted automatically

Have for years used Windows live mail. The other day when virgin had problems I noticed that I had not recived  1 day of emails.

I went into my email folder on Virgin Media site and no emails were showing. I was able to send an email and then on both VM and Windows Live emails were received. However those which are in my inbox on VM disappear each day. I still use Windows live mainly.

I am still a customer, can these deletions be stopped?

Thanks, Steve

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Emails being deleted automatically

As a matter of urgency follow all the advice here:  https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-my-email-has-been-hacked

Unless you have accidentally set up some odd action in your client, this should not reflect back to the VM mailbox on the server, which synchronises via IMAP.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

lajoie
Tuning in
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thanks for your advices, I have found the box relating to potentially a forwarding address and that is blank.

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

And all the other steps?  Filters can be used to forward and delete your emails!!  If someone has guessed your password, they can just log on ANYTIME and rifle through your personal data, harvesting your contacts, and working on gaining control of your finances, etc

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
lajoie
Tuning in
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Have taken those steps inc changing password. Will see if that has any effect. At the moment emails being received but disappear after about a day.

Thanks

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@lajoie wrote:

At the moment emails being received but disappear after about a day.

Clearly something is causing those emails to be deleted. They are not in the Trash folder of your VM webmail account by any chance?

However, my first thought is that there may be another device involved. In addition to Live Mail, do you also check your emails using another email app on your phone or any other device?

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
lajoie
Tuning in
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hello and thanks for your reply.

No for years I have only used Windows Live Mail and it was only due to the issues that VM had early last week that I looked in My Virgin Media and noticed it was empty. Since then I have looked at my emails in VM and they arrive but disappear after about a day.

This morning I changed my password.

As far as I am aware I have not had any issues.

There are a large number ofemails in my Windows Live account, in excess of 50k.

If you have any suggestions they would be welcome. Thanks, Steve

0 Kudos
BillC45
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

The answer is in your hands – it’s a setting in WLM which controls deletion frequency from the host server. It’s probably been set at “one day” since you installed it! That will be why you have no old emails in the Webmail inbox.

I think you need to read up on this. See this -

https://support.zen.co.uk/kb/Knowledgebase/Email-Windows-Live-Mail-Leaving-Messages-on-the-Server

and this -

https://www.datarecovery.institute/stop-windows-live-mail-from-deleting-emails-automatically/

WLM has been out of support since January 2017. I would advise you to STOP using it. What normally happens with out-of-support software is that it may well continue to function for a few years, but eventually, a new release of the operating system comes along, and, “surprise surprise” the old software stops working. Please do something about this before that happens to you.

coenoby
Super solver
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@lajoie wrote:

If you have any suggestions they would be welcome. Thanks, Steve

I am not disagreeing with the gist of BillC45's post re: "The answer is in your hands – it’s a setting in WLM which controls deletion frequency from the host server"

However,as far as I am aware Virgin Media have not supported the basic POP3  'delete from server' function from the day they migrated their email service from the Google (GMail) offering back in 2015.

Here is VM's announcement that their implementation of POP3 does not confirm to the POP3 standards https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/POP3-Behaviour/td-p/2994032 

Therefore unless the VIPs have information that the rest of us are unaware of I don't think this is the reason for the problems that the OP is experiencing.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
BillC45
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

coenoby

Extract from RFC1939 – the POP3 standard

Enforce a site policy regarding mail retention on the server.

Sites are free to establish local policy regarding the storage and
      retention of messages on the server, both read and unread.  For
      example, a site might delete unread messages from the server after
      60 days and delete read messages after 7 days.  Such message
      deletions are outside the scope of the POP3 protocol and are not
      considered a protocol violation.

Server operators enforcing message deletion policies should take
      care to make all users aware of the policies in force.

Clients must not assume that a site policy will automate message
      deletions, and should continue to explicitly delete messages using
      the DELE command when appropriate.

It should be noted that enforcing site message deletion policies
      may be confusing to the user community, since their POP3 client
      may contain configuration options to leave mail on the server
      which will not in fact be supported by the server.”
VM has opted to implement a local policy to retain all messages in the server Inbox by default. 

HOWEVER, that does not stop an intelligent email client – such as WLM – from then scanning the server Inbox and applying DELE commands to all emails which meet the “delete after n days” rule.

0 Kudos