Menu
zanewilson
Tuning in
Message 41 of 47
Flag for a moderator

Re: Emails are being blocked with MXIN611 From header check failed

I tend to agree on the new random TLDs - it seems every man and his dog can now create one, and to me having "grown up" with the original very restricted struicture it feels wrong, and this makes it even more likely to trip up consumers. Also allowing Unicode characters has opened up new fields for scammers who can add some almost-invisible accent to a letter to make a very real-looking DNS name eg "barc̣lays.co.uk". SPF, DKIM and DMARC are of no help as scammers can set these up to their heart's content on their own domains.

However my particular concern is my domain in the .pro TLD, which has been live for 15 years and isn't part of the new wave of free-form domains, and until very recently was happily accepted by pretty much anyone we sent emails to. Just in the last 4-8 weeks though it's suddenly become a big problem - not only for Virgin Media owned domains but others as well. Many of which just silently drop emails with no warning after accepting them for delivery, meaning we have to rely on our customers to call us saying "where is the email you said you would send" and then go through hoops to figure out whether it's in their spam folder or down to their email service unilaterally deciding to block legitimate email on a whim.

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 42 of 47
Flag for a moderator

Maybe this will shed some light:

https://www.altushost.com/pro-will-become-an-unrestricted-tld/

When you think about it, this was a MONUMENTALLY STUPID move.  We have a TLD that was originally reserved for professionals and had garnered a high amount of trust.  Yet suddenly any man and his dog could register for them.  What did they think would happen?

Tim

Edit - Doing a check with Spamhaus does show that .pro is not one of the worst TLD's out there @Kev_B 

pro = 15.7% bad (score 1.22)

Source Spamhaus - https://www.spamhaus.org/statistics/tlds/

Tim

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Rowellp
Joining in
Message 43 of 47
Flag for a moderator

How long does it take for the team to correct this I've had two more today:

Message not delivered
There was a problem delivering your message to [MOD EDIT: email address removed] See the technical details below or try resending in a few minutes.

The response from the remote server was:

421 4.2.0 MXIN611 From header check failed ;id=G7vDi7dsNNXtvG7vDiZS8Q;sid=G7vDi7dsNNXtv;mta=mx7.mnd;d=20191003;t=224159[CET];ipsrc=209.85.128.47;

The from address is [MOD EDIT: email address removed]

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
zanewilson
Tuning in
Message 44 of 47
Flag for a moderator

In fact .pro is only slightly worse than .us. I just don't see blocking whole TLDs as a viable solution. It's not as if Virgin Media discloses to its users that they unilaterally block email from the majority of possible TLDs out there.

I am a VM customer (since the original ntl: Guildford cable modem trials in 1999) and I've never had any notification that I am not allowed to receive emails from .pro addresses

0 Kudos
Rowellp
Joining in
Message 45 of 47
Flag for a moderator

I noticed my post has been edited, presumably automatically by @lindsey_c - I had redacted stuff from the posted email addresses so I'm not sure there was any need. For the record the domain I'm still have issues with sending from is rowell.xyz

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 46 of 47
Flag for a moderator

@zanewilson wrote:

… Also allowing Unicode characters has opened up new fields for scammers who can add some almost-invisible accent to a letter to make a very real-looking DNS name eg "barc̣lays.co.uk". SPF, DKIM and DMARC are of no help as scammers can set these up to their heart's content on their own domains.

Modern web browser and email clients should show such links in their Punycode form.

BTW: good news is that Virgin Media's spam filters do trigger on barlays.co.uk

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 47 of 47
Flag for a moderator

@zanewilson wrote:

In fact .pro is only slightly worse than .us. I just don't see blocking whole TLDs as a viable solution. …

IMHO the lack of efficient support infrastructure for whitelisting makes that an inevitable outcome.

0 Kudos