Menu
tiger46
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Email

I had a virgin media email address hacked and account was closed.    I am therefore unable to access this account.   However, my dropbox account is linked to this address and they have sent a password reset to this closed email account.    They are unable to help as they say this is the only way to verify its me.     Is there anyway I can access this account again?

0 Kudos
coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Email

@tiger46 wrote:

I had a virgin media email address hacked and account was closed.    I am therefore unable to access this account.   However, my dropbox account is linked to this address and they have sent a password reset to this closed email account.    They are unable to help as they say this is the only way to verify its me.     Is there anyway I can access this account again?

You seem to have been overlooked so let's see if we can offer any constructive advice.

Firstly, if your VM email account has been closed there is no way it can be resurrected. You could double check that it has actually been closed by sending an email from your current email address to the old email address.

If you get a bounceback "Mail delivery failed" message which includes the line "550 5.1.1 <xxxxxxxx@virginmedia.com> User doesn't exist". I've put xxxxxxxxx in place of the username that would confirm  the account has been deleted and is gone for good. 😕

However, if you do not get that message you could try resetting the password on that email account by clicking on 'password' in 'Forgotten email or password' in this link.  https://mail2.virginmedia.com/ . If that works that would allow you to regain access to the email account - but it's a long shot at best.

If all of that fails you could try:

1) Going on to the computer where you have the Dropbox desktop app signed into your account and clicking on the Dropbox icon from your menu bar/system tray. Then click on the globe icon from the top right corner of the small window. That should take you into your Dropbox online account and you can then reset your Dropbox password from there.

2) You could ask for help on the Dropbox community forum. https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/English/ct-p/English 

Hope that helps.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos