Menu
shrek
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Email

Why has our ntlworld email address stopped sending.

We can receive but not send.

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Email

Hello

How are you sending ?

Does the emails send by the webmail that can be found here https://my.virginmedia.com/my-apps/email/mailbox ?

First I would suggest to following to find the error that you are getting on your email client :- Look here to get the error logs:- https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Outgoing-Authentication-Issues-Check-Email-Logs/td-p/3237..., if you do have an VM305 error then more than likely the spambot was asleep as spamhaus will automatically remove after 2 days of no spam activity, if error then follow :- https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Searching-for-Spambots-on-your-network/td-p/40...

You can check your listing yourself but there is no point requesting removal until you have found and deleted the spambot. https://www.spamhaus.org/query and type in your external IP you can gets this my typing "whats my ip" into google.

If you are running Hola VPN Free, then note But Hola Free VPN is anything but a VPN.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
shrek
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

If I send through Vigin media the email unable to connect to provider.?

But I receive mail ,the rest is Chinese to me ,have set up a hotmail address and that works..

0 Kudos
shrek
Tuning in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

we use mozilla thunderbird. has virgin blocked our ntlworld.com email address

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello

The outgoing server is blocking you for some reason.

If you follow the first link in my post it will tell you how to get the physical error code from the server it will be in the format VMxxx where xxx is a 3 number code, if you do get the error VM305 then something on your home network is sending spam and you would need to go through the second post to find and destroy what ever is causing the spam.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
shrek
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Mike sorry thanks for your advice but I am totally IT challenged and it's still Chinese to me , looks like that's the end of our old email address.Virgin totally no help.

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello

I understand but without the VMxxx error code it is going to be very difficult to diagnose the issue, thats why the post was created so the customers can get the error code, the only other suggestion for Thunderbird is too speak to Mozilla to help you.

Also if you can send / receive by logging into the webmail https://my.virginmedia.com/my-apps/email/mailbox then we know it is an issue with the client in your case Thunderbird, and VM can only give you support for the webmail, you can also speak to 3rd party or a computer shop to see if they will help you getting the error code from Thunderbird.

Regards Mike

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

On which operating system is Thunderbird running on (BSD, Linux, MacOS, Windows)?

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
shrek
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Using Windows 7 home

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@shrek wrote:

Using Windows 7 home

Consider trying the following step-by-step instructions to obtain the information requested by @DJ_Shadow1966:

1. highlight the following text:
    type con > thunderbird-enable-logging.bat
    rem Debugging using Thunderbird's logging https://wiki.dovecot.org/Debugging/Thunderbird set mydate=%date:~-4,4%%date:~-7,2%%date:~-10,2% set mytime=%time:~0,2%%time:~+3,2% set NSPR_LOG_MODULES=SMTP:5 set NSPR_LOG_FILE=%USERPROFILE%\thunderbird_%mydate%_%mytime%.log start /d "c:\program files\mozilla thunderbird" thunderbird.exe
  2. copy the highlighted text by pressing Ctrl + C
  3. open the Run dialogue box by pressing Windows Key + R
  4. open a Command Shell by typing cmd into the Open field of the Run dialogue box and then select OK
  5. paste the text copied in step 1 into the Command Shell by pressing Alt + Space bar , then E followed by P
  6. press the Enter key,  then Ctrl + Z and the Enter key to create the file thunderbird-enable-logging.bat
  7. start Thunderbird by typing thunderbird-enable-logging.bat into the Command Shell and then pressing the Enter key
  8. try to send a message and then quit Thunderbird
  9. in a command shell type findstr /C:"I/SMTP SMTP Response:" thunderbird*log and then press the Enter key
  10. Review the resulting output for VM error codes and/or authentication failures
  11. Remove thunderbird-enable-logging.bat and its logging files by typing del thunderbird-enable-logging.bat thunderbird*log and then pressing the Enter key
  12. exit the Command Shell by typing exit and then pressing the Enter key
0 Kudos