Menu
edfrith
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Email virgin.net hacked stopped

We have had an email virgin.net for twenty years in January we stopped receiving messages and found our Amazon account had been hacked . So we contacted virgin who said it had been deleted before this or at the same time we are not convinced and confused what to do as would like to have it back to check as others could have been hacked too and wanted to check

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Email virgin.net hacked stopped

@edfrith wrote:

virgin ......said it had been deleted before this or at the same time we are not convinced

If you are still VM broadband customers you should sign into your "My Virgin Media" account from here https://my.virginmedia.com 

Then click on My Profile and see if the virgin.net address is listed under the "Manage my accounts" tab. If it is not there then the address is not attached to your current broadband account and VM may well have deleted it.

The easiest and quickest way to check whether the email account still exists is to send an email to your virgin.net address from another email address.

If it does not exist you will soon get an error message back from <postmaster@virginmedia.com> with the subject line "Mail delivery failed : returned to sender". If you open the email you should see a line:

550 5.1.1 <xxxxxxxx@virgin.net> User doesn't exist: (where xxxxxxxx is your email address)

If you do not get an error message that means either that your old email address has not been deleted or possibly that VM started to delete it but the process did not complete.

See how that all goes and we'll go from there. 😉

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
edfrith
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

• Thanks 
  • we did have media now only mobile customer 
  • we were told a week ago that email had been deleted but did send an email to that virgin.net account now and it went, did not get error message☹️
0 Kudos
edfrith
Tuning in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Been told by virgin media that our email is now handled by talk talk and we should contact them. She can only deal with it if broadband with virgin - I did read somewhere that virgin.net email had been transferred to talk talk!?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
edfrith
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: OLD VIRGIN.NET EMAIL ADDRESS HACKED AND NEEDS TO BE DELETED

Hi Megan

We have twenty year virgin.net email (from dial up days) that we are concerned has been hacked (fraudulent use on amazon) and have lost use from the beginning of Jan, we had been in contact with WM by phone but no luck so trying via forum.

Ed

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@edfrith wrote:

Been told by virgin media that our email is now handled by talk talk and we should contact them. She can only deal with it if broadband with virgin - I did read somewhere that virgin.net email had been transferred to talk talk!?

Unfortunately the person who told you that is spouting absolute rubbish.

Whilst Virgin Media ADSL accounts were transferred to Talk Talk some years ago, the virgin.net domain remains under the control of Virgin Media.

However, without a current VM broadband account it isn't possible to continue using your old virgin.net email address.

In light of the incorrect information you have been given by the call centre I will escalate this thread to the VM Forum Team.  They will respond in due course.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi edfrith, thanks for reaching out and welcome to our community. 

@Graham_A has advised you correctly.  But I would still like to ask, do you know if your former account has been accessed?  If so we can look into this from a training issue point of view.

Regards

Lee_R

0 Kudos
edfrith
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Lee

We have proof that it has been accessed, as an Amazon account was accessed from it and gift vouchers obtained from Amazon soon after we lost access on January 2nd

sorry I am unsure what you mean for training purposes?

ed

0 Kudos
Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

We feedback to the relevant teams the agent's giving the incorrect information.  Based on the evidence of your feedback it has the potential to impact people.

Regards

Lee

0 Kudos