Menu
davetech
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Email unavailable - Customer support unavailable

My email has not been available all day. I went onto online chat and after over an hour, I was told I was being transferred to technical support and it could take up to 40 minutes for someone to respond. I then received a message in the chat window from online support saying they would respond within 4 hours. 6 hours later and still no response, so tried to call. After going through the atrocious menu system, it sounded like I was about to be put through to a human, then the call was terminated. Retried chat and getting nothing now. All I want is to access my emails. Where do I go from here?

BillC45
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Email unavailable - Customer support unavailable

You start off by detailing the precise error message(s) you are getting, and, what you are using to try to send emails (VM Webmail, or , Client such as Outlook etc) – and whether Windows or Mac etc – with version numbers of components as appropriate.

State if email is the only problem area and whether you can use Webmail for access to other websites over broadband.

You then wait here for the VM Forum Team to pick up this post in due course.

0 Kudos
davetech
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Tried phoning again and got through to tech support (after a much better 50 minutes on hold) - tried to be very helpful.

They changed my password, then after clearing my cookies and cache, I tried to login again and got the same error "Sorry! Your mailbox is not available at the moment.Please retry again in one hour and make sure you are using the correct password to access your email from all of your devices".

They then said they were going to transfer me to higher technical support - unfortunately while on hold to them, the call was terminated after a few minutes - so still waiting.
Guess I'll have to start all over again and try and phone later when I get home from work.

0 Kudos
davetech
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

...and all working again 😀

0 Kudos
BillC45
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The - "Sorry! Your mailbox is not available at the moment……” - message is usually a sign that your email access was temporarily locked. Possibly as a result of an automatic “suspicious behaviour” alert – which appears to be (all too frequently) a false alarm. I suspect that your email was unlocked as a result of referral to 2nd line support even if you didn’t get the chance to discuss it with them before they actioned the unlock.

0 Kudos
davetech
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

OMG - now it's locked out again, just a few hours later. What's going on?

0 Kudos
davetech
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

...and after phoning again, and then being "referred" to second line support again, and put on hold for nearly an hour, it suddenly starts working again.
0 Kudos
BillC45
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

This is beginning to sound like a spambot infection.

First thing you need to do is check your IP address (format is xx.xx.xx.xx).

1. Google – “what is my IP”

2. Go to https://www.spamhaus.org/lookup/

Spamhaus maintains lists of many IP addresses suspected of generating spam into the wider network. VM uses these lists to block IP addresses guilty of this.

3. Paste IP address into IP address lookup Tool

4. If result is - xx.xx.xx.xx is not listed in the SBL – that is good

xx.xx.xx.xx is not listed in the XBL – also good

xx.xx.xx.xx is listed in the PBL in the following records: PBL nnnnnn

then that is also good – as virtually all VM addresses should appear there.

5. Repeat check of Spamhaus lists at regular intervals until or if your IP is blocked..

6. Read this for some background info on the subject

HOWEVER, the bad news is - if you are listed in SBL or XBL, it means that you probably have a spambot somewhere in your home network which is churning out spam into the global network (bypassing your email network route) and you need to take steps to identify and remove it.

Note that this process is neither quick nor easy.

Known culprits are smart devices.

Smart Devices could be – Light bulbs, Electric plugs, CCTV, Door-bells, TV & Firesticks, Personal routers on home Lan, pseudo VPNs, domestic appliances -like Fridges, Washing machines, anything voice-controlled – Alexa etc, Baby monitors, Front door lock(!!) etc, - basically anything which uses a cut-down version of Linux or Android as it’s operating system – and which the hackers have found ways around poor user or manufacturer security.

Your first step in this direction should be to identify any so-called smart devices on your home network.

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I would also recommend following all the advice given here:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-my-email-has-been-hacked

in case the cause of the account lockouts is rogue forwarding filters.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
davetech
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thank you all - everything has been fine for the last week, since the second "higher" tech support. I'll keep the info in mind though in case of any future occurrence.

0 Kudos