Menu
Cwlio
Tuning in
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Email to me from one sender not being delivered

Hi - since last week, 2 senders from one organisation have been unable to email my VM address, receiving the below message.  Prior to that I was receiving emails from them with no problems and I've made no changes to settings other than adding some other people from a different organisation to my safe sender list.  Other emails are getting through to me from other organisations with no problems (I use this email for my business) and other emails from that same organisation are getting through via a different address so it sounds like a VM issue but I have no clue how to find out!  Details are below and thanks in advance for nay help you can offer 🙂

The email says it's from Microsoft Outlook and it's to the person who was tying to send to me:

Delivery has failed to these recipients or groups:

**.********@virginmedia.com (**.********@virginmedia.com)
Several attempts to deliver your message were unsuccessful and we stopped trying. It could be a temporary situation. Try to send your message again later.

Diagnostic information for administrators:

Generating server: SWA-EXCHANGE.office.*********.org.uk
Receiving server: SWA-EXCHANGE.office.*********.org.uk

**.********@virginmedia.com
30/05/2020 11:36:36 - Server at SWA-EXCHANGE.office.*********.org.uk returned '550 5.4.300 Message expired -> 451 4.4.395 Target host responded with error. -> 421 EHLO MXIN201 Your HELO/EHLO SWA-EXCHANGE.office.*********.org.uk is not matching your DNS configuration 5.91-31-62.static.virginmediabusiness.co.uk ;id=ezeTjIy43bEYj;sid=ezeTjIy43bEYj;mta=mx6.tb;d=20200530;t=132745[CET];ipsrc=62.31.91.5;'
30/05/2020 11:26:36 - Server at mx.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net (212.54.56.11) returned '451 4.4.395 Target host responded with error. -> 421 EHLO MXIN201 Your HELO/EHLO SWA-EXCHANGE.office.*********.org.uk is not matching your DNS configuration 5.91-31-62.static.virginmediabusiness.co.uk ;id=ezeTjIy43bEYj;sid=ezeTjIy43bEYj;mta=mx6.tb;d=20200530;t=132745[CET];ipsrc=62.31.91.5;'

Original message headers:

Received: from SWA-EXCHANGE.office.*********.org.uk (192.168.1.4) by SWA-EXCHANGE.office.*********.org.uk (192.168.1.4) with Microsoft SMTP Server (version=TLS1_2, cipher=TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_128_GCM_SHA256) id 15.1.1913.5; Thu, 28 May 2020 12:28:01 +0100Received: from SWA-EXCHANGE.office.*********.org.uk ([fe80::5cbd:70d7:9695:388b]) by SWA-EXCHANGE.office.*********.org.uk ([fe80::5cbd:70d7:9695:388b%2]) with mapi id 15.01.1913.005; Thu, 28 May 2020 12:28:01 +0100From: XXXX <********@*********.org.uk>To: "**.********@virginmedia.com" <**.********@virginmedia.com>Subject: Re: XXXXThread-Topic: XXXXThread-Index: AdY04GcIpbmsgBLbS4SxpBqN1hqcnAAAqRdaDate: Thu, 28 May 2020 11:28:00 +0000Message-ID: <09d43982-15b1-4606-8246-daa60b342234@email.android.com>References: <03b401d634e0$ead75eb0$c0861c10$@virginmedia.com>In-Reply-To: <03b401d634e0$ead75eb0$c0861c10$@virginmedia.com>Accept-Language: en-GB, en-USContent-Language: en-GBX-MS-Has-Attach:X-MS-TNEF-Correlator:Content-Type: multipart/alternative;        boundary="_000_09d4398215b146068246daa60b342234emailandroidcom_"MIME-Version: 1.0

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Email to me from one sender not being delivered

The sending organisation needs to configure their mail server properly.

Currently the server is set up in such a way that it looks like a spammer.

Their SPF record is set up wrongly as well.  The SPF record tells the world what IP addresses mail from their domain comes from.  It looks like they are using a default SPF record provided by their hosting provider that does not include that particular server.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Cwlio
Tuning in
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, much appreciated - so this implies there's nothing I can do to sort this out and they need to change setting their end?  Also are you aware of a VM change that would make this suddenly start happening given that it was fine a couple of days before?

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Understand this clearly. The server sending you that mail, because it is incorrectly configured, tells VM that what it is sending looks like spam. VM, along with most ISPs, have had so many complaints about spam and demands they they do something about it,  that they now seem to be checking more carefully incoming mail and rejecting it where servers sending that mail are not properly configured (generally a sign that the server is being used by spammers) in accordance with internationally accepted e-mail server standards. There is nothing that you can do about it and there is nothing that VM should do about it either. The fault lies with the sending server and the people behind that. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

@Cwlio wrote:

Thanks, much appreciated - so this implies there's nothing I can do to sort this out and they need to change setting their end?  Also are you aware of a VM change that would make this suddenly start happening given that it was fine a couple of days before?

We VIP's aren't Virgin Media employees, so we're not privvy to everything they do.  However this is not the first server I've seen impacted recently.  To be fair to VM all mail admins should be aware of the importance of.

1.  Setting up their SMTP banner properly.
2.  Making sure that their reverse DNS is set up correctly.

Currently the SMTP banner is pointing to a hostname that can't be found in DNS and the reverse SMTP is a generic one.

VM have had a flood of spam from servers that match these criteria in the past (although a lot have been sent from AWS IP addresses), so my guess is they've decided to get strict about what servers are allowed to connect to their mail exchangers.

Tim

Cwlio
Tuning in
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Tim :-).

I think this may be why I'm having another issue where emails for a different 2 people from somehere else keep going into my spam folder despite being added to my safe senders list at least 10 times; just can't seem to resolve it and my last resort is to completely turn off the VM spam filter which I obviously don't want to do. It can't be their server though because email from another person using same domain/server are fine.

Even when I move them to the inbox and mark as not junk, when I try to reply I get the below message.  However, what little I know of VM community etiquette makes me think I should look for a thread on this specific issue (or start another one) so please excuse me if this is not appropriate!

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject:     RE: XXX

Sent:  03/06/2020 10:07

The following recipient(s) cannot be reached:

'XXX' on 03/06/2020 10:07

552 5.7.0 SPAM Content Found (VM603) gPM4jgGVsIUP9gPM4jQiIg

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Nothing to do with your previous issue. But we'll keep this all together and answer in this thread.

This message means that the outgoing VM spam filters on their SMTP servers have identified something in the message that has triggered the spam filters, as they were also triggered as incoming mail - which is why they went to your spam folder. VM are trying to protect their outgoing servers from spammers so won't allow the mail out.

Look, their spam filters are capricious in operation. VM can look at the character string you have provided and try and determine why the filters have been triggered. But that is a long and often futile process. Often the issue is temporary as the filters get updated regularly and so should learn from what you do and stop this behaviour. But don't count on it.

Cwlio
Tuning in
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Ok thanks; a helpful explanation but a disappointing conclusion, especially as this is the address I use for my business and these people are my clients.

I'm pretty sure something in their email signature is trigger the filter as when they completely remove the signature, it doesn't happen.  However this is odd because someone from same organisation with virtually the same email footer doesn't get filtered as spam.  

I guess I'll just remove all my spam filters for a few days, keep checking the spam folder and hope it clears up.

Thanks for your help; first time I've used the forum and really impressed :-).

HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The clue is in the signature. You didn't mention this before did you? That is a known cause this behaviour, especially if it has a URL in it that the filters recognise as spammy - ie mail from that domain has been marked as spam by other users.  There is one other vague possibility. Is the mail coming direct to you from the sender or are they using a forwarding service?  very long shot.

Glad you like the Forum.

0 Kudos
Cwlio
Tuning in
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi Howard (?) - no I didn't mention it before and yes, I saw from a quick google search on spam and email signatures that they could be a cause.  The weird thing is that although sender does have a URL in her signature, that URL is in everyone's signature from that organisation.  Of the 3 people that regularly email me with the same URL in the signature, 2 consistently go into spam and one never does, so it's hard to see how it could be that?  And yes, the email's direct not via a forwarding service.  Thanks 🙂

0 Kudos