Menu
Steve001
Joining in
Message 1 of 44
Flag for a moderator

Email switch to imap from pop servers

Our VM email is set up on outlook on our home pc using pop server settings. I’d like to have the server reflect our outlook copy of the email database which I understand means the setup has to be using imap server settings. Can I simply change the server settings in outlook from pop to imap ? Will that then replicate the outlook version to the server or will the opposite happen (and I lose all my outlook history !). Can anyone suggest how to do this safely please ?

0 Kudos
Anankha
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 44
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Email switch to imap from pop servers

Unfortunately you can’t change from pop to imap by just changing the server settings, you have to recreate the account using the imap server settings.

imap.virginmedia.com
SSL yes
Port 993.

0 Kudos
Steve001
Joining in
Message 3 of 44
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Anankha. I was worried that would be the case ! Do you know whether, in setting up a new account, there is a way of replicating my outlook copy to the server rather than the server copy being installed on outlook as part of the imap server setup process ? Thanks again !

0 Kudos
Anankha
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 44
Flag for a moderator

I don’t use Outlook email client but Windows Mail app So I am not sure.

When you set up the account you would choose other & have to enter the server details manually.

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 44
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The answer is that when you switch to IMAP the view on your e-mail program and the view on the VM server will immediately synchronise. That is how IMAP works. However you will still be left with a POP account (provided you don't delete it from your e-mail program) and that will contain everything you have downloaded prior to the switch over. But of course you will have switched off automatic download of new e-mail for that POP account or you really will mess things up with the IMAP version.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Steve001
Joining in
Message 6 of 44
Flag for a moderator

One final clarification if I may ... whilst I understand that the two versions of the account will “synchronise”, will the server version be the master copy ? Ie will it overwrite my local copy ? Or will a new version be created that is a combination of the two current versions ?

0 Kudos
Anankha
Problem sorter
Message 7 of 44
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The server version will download to all devices using imap, when you delete the email on one device this will reflect on all devices.
There’s no master copy as such & no it’ll not update to show a combination of two or more versions. 🙂

nickkennerley
Tuning in
Message 8 of 44
Flag for a moderator

I wish to do the same please. I have emails on the VM server going back to 2012. I have them sorted on my Outlook but now want to swap to IMAP for the future. How do I do this without losing everything I have sorted? - equally I don't want to import every email since 2012 into my inbox by switching my account to IMAP.

0 Kudos
Anankha
Problem sorter
Message 9 of 44
Flag for a moderator

If you have sorted the emails into specific folders then these won’t be reflected on webmail if you’re using POP so they may download again in to the inbox.

I would create the account again using imap but don’t delete the pop account & see what happens.

Davet1334
Tuning in
Message 10 of 44
Flag for a moderator

Hi All

I'm a little late to this thread but I would also like to change from POP to IMAP.  The difference is I was originally with NTL before Virgin took over, and so have an @ntlworld.com email address.  Just checked the settings and it's using virginmedia pop3 and smtp settings (rather than NTL).  Does having NTL email addresses make any difference or can I follow the procedures described in the thread?

Cheers Dave

0 Kudos