Menu
Deedee36
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Email spam

Hi guys, 

I think I’m going to know the answer to this but thought I’d best check 🤔

My daughter has just received an email saying her email address will be closed down due to not updating, myself being the account holder haven’t had this. So I’m just checking that it’s a hoax as she’s panicking because a couple of weeks ago her account was hacked. Fully restored by the wonderful guys on this forum, thank you, but I need to put her mind at rest as she’s got all her work /home emails on there 👍🏼

btw it says it’s from Noreply@virginmedia.com 🤔

0 Kudos
Deedee36
Joining in
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Email spam

This is the email she received and clicking on the address bar it looks like it’s from Virgin

A359B43B-B3B4-4C00-9175-F23509F391FF.png

 Anyone else had this? 🙏

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It is 100% a scam.  Virgin Media would never send a text message like that.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Consider forwarding to phishing@virginmedia.com

BTW the noreply@virignmedia.com looks like the display name not the actual email address, i.e. noreply@virignmedia.com <<miscreant@example.com>

Do Consider using an alternative email service that:

• is not tied to use of another service, i.e. Virgin Media's broadband service ― should you move to an areas not serviced by Virgin Media or cancel the service its email accounts will be deleted after 90 days
  • has security that is equal to or greater than the services it will be used with
  • has better spam filtering

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

coenoby
Super solver
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Deedee36 wrote:

A359B43B-B3B4-4C00-9175-F23509F391FF.png

 Anyone else had this? 🙏

Just to show how long lived these scams are, here is the same scam being reported on a Microsoft Community Forum nearly two years ago and I expect it started long before that.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_outlook-mso_win10-mso_365hp/closure-of-e... 

You will see the text is virtually dentical to yours, sadly that is a reflection of how successful these scams are. Obviously there is no need for them to change a winning formula. 😮

Well done for being sceptical.👍

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
Serena_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi @Deedee36

Thank you for your post alerting us to the fraudulent email your daughter received. I am sorry to hear she received this email, thank you for remaining vigilant and checking on here to confirm your suspicions.

Please can your daughter forward this fraudlent email to phishing@virginmedia.com

I would also advise that she checks the Spam settings on her email account to prevent further emails like this coming through.

Thanks,

Serena