cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email passwords

chorley20
Tuning in

Not sure whats happening, I have one main virgin-media account, also have two secondary accounts, I used to be able to login with my main account and reset password for the two secondary accounts.

Office 365 outlook has stopped working, I found a utility to reset app password. I used this with the four phrases and dashes. It worked on one secondary email accounts. But wont work on the other account. Even if I login to virginmedia and get a password for their account.

Its driving me mad even working in IT for 22 years 🙂

4 REPLIES 4

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@chorley20 wrote:

Not sure whats happening, I have one main virgin-media account, also have two secondary accounts, I used to be able to login with my main account and reset password for the two secondary accounts.
🙂

The primary account can no longer manage secondary accounts beyond their deletion / recovery. To manage an account now its authentication details must be used when signing in.

Office 365 outlook has stopped working, I found a utility to reset app password. I used this with the four phrases and dashes. It worked on one secondary email accounts. But wont work on the other account. Even if I login to virginmedia and get a password for their account.

It is unclear why after having signed into each secondary account and generated an App Password it should fail for one. It would be helpful to see what, if any, error code is returned by the SMTP server in this situation for the failing account. From a desktop or laptop device open a Command Shell in Window or otherwise a Terminal. and enter the following where username:password is replaced with the secondary account's email address and password, i.e. richard.branson@virginmedia.com:caviar-vice-yahoo-coming:

curl -v smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com -u username:password

Do not post the resulting output here but instead review it for possible reported causes, i.e. a VM error code; choosing to ignore this advice and posting the output here unredacted or incorrectly redacted may reveal your email address, password and / or public IP Address.

FYI if there is no issue then you should see the following output from the curl command:

> AUTH PLAIN
< 334
> [Redacted]
< 235 2.7.0 SMTP350 Authentication successful for user [Redacted]
> HELP
< 214-2.0.0 This is cmsmtp ESMTP service help
214-2.0.0 This is cmsmtp ESMTP service help
< 214-2.0.0 To contact postmaster send email to postmaster@virginmedia.com.
214-2.0.0 To contact postmaster send email to postmaster@virginmedia.com.
< 214-2.0.0 For local information send email to Postmaster at your site.
214-2.0.0 For local information send email to Postmaster at your site.
< 214 2.0.0 end of HELP info
214 2.0.0 end of HELP info
* Connection #0 to host smtp.virginmedia.com left intact

Otherwise unsuccessful will look similar to the following:

> AUTH PLAIN
< 334
> [Redacted]
< 525 5.7.13 Authentication Denied (VM320)
* Closing connection 0
* TLSv1.2 (OUT), TLS alert, close notify (256):
curl: (67) Login denied

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for the reply. Outlook is very buggy works on one device but fails on another, ended up doing a mail forward to the microsoft email account seems is work ok now. My wife has a secondary virginmedia account. Not sure how I reset her password. You used to login with the primary account then reset the password. Only delete option now available. Thanks for the reply

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@chorley20 wrote: My wife has a secondary virginmedia account. Not sure how I reset her password.

Virgin Media removed the option to reset secondary account passwords from the primary account quite a while ago.

Now every secondary email account has its own My Virgin Media account.
Provided you know the existing password for the secondary account you can to sign into the My Virgin Media account for that secondary email address.

Sign in from here  https://my.virginmedia.com/home/signIn  with the email address and password of that secondary email account.  That will take you to the relevant "My Virgin Media" account for that email address.

Then navigate to the "Account details" page by clicking on the "Account settings" tab and then you'll see the "Account details" tab. Scroll down that page and you will see a place to edit the password.

If you don't know the existing password you can try using the stand-alone forgotten password reset link https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media/forgotten-details/password  but that requires that the "password reset question" has been set for that secondary address. The security question and answer in the primary  MVM account does not automatically carry over to the secondary MVM account you need to set it up manually.

If all else fails you will need to get VM staff to reset the password for you. The Forum Team (VM staff who support this forum) can do it for you and one of them will contact you via this thread in the next day or so.

Failing that you can try going via VM phone support on 150 from a VM landline.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey chorley20, thank you for all the posts and replies to the forum and this thread.

We're sorry to hear of the issues faced with resetting your secondary email account password via MyVM as we've applied some changes to this process recently as coenoby above has advised.

Please, visit this link here where you can log on to your email account in query and either change the email password on there or try the 'forgot my password' route off the sign-in page (in case this has not yet been tested).

Let us if the above has helped with this issue and how you get on.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs