cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email password not being accepted

naomi999
Tuning in

Hi,

Since my emails went down on the 19th June, due to the known error, they haven't come back. I can however receive emails into my web based mail via the virgin website. Neither my mac or my iPhone are downloading new emails. I have changed the password but no luck. I have deleted the mailbox from my iPhone and tried to reinstall. The message i get is 'no password provided for "VirginMedia'. Please go to mail account settings and enter a password.' Each time I do this it says it can't be verified. I use this email account for lots of work stuff so tearing my hair out a bit. Can anyone help please? Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM have recently changed the log in requirements for accessing VM Mail via third party apps.

If you change the password for the account in My Virgin Media > Account settings > Account details you will not be able to use the new password to access the account via an email client. Email client access now requires an app specific password which can be generated in the MyVM > Account Settings > Account details > Mailbox App password management.

Once generated enter the app password into the password field of your incoming and outgoing server settings in the email clients that you are using.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @naomi999 

Welcome to the community forums 

Sorry to hear that you've not been able to access your emails through your Mac or Iphone. 

Can you confirm is this through an email app or through our website? 

If it's through an email app, you can follow the steps here on how to set up your app password. 

Let me know if this has worked for you or if you have any further questions or concerns. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM have recently changed the log in requirements for accessing VM Mail via third party apps.

If you change the password for the account in My Virgin Media > Account settings > Account details you will not be able to use the new password to access the account via an email client. Email client access now requires an app specific password which can be generated in the MyVM > Account Settings > Account details > Mailbox App password management.

Once generated enter the app password into the password field of your incoming and outgoing server settings in the email clients that you are using.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thank you Carley. I'm trying to reinstall in via the IOS iPhone software

Thank you for confirming @naomi999 

Have the steps in the link I attached or the steps that @Graham_A has very kindly provided helped you in gaining access to your Virgin Media email through your iPhone mail app?

Here to help 🙂
Carley

Thanks so much Graham and Carley. I will try this now. 

Keep us posted with how you get on @naomi999 

We'll be here to support further if needed. 

Here to help 🙂
Carley

Yay it worked! Wish i'd had asked for help earlier! Thank you both so much.

Great news @naomi999 

Thanks for taking the time to let us know this has resolved your issue. 

If you believe the issue to be resolved you can mark the thread as resolved by clicking the helpful answer given and this will show anyone else having issue that an answer was given and direct them to the post, alternatively you can just like or 'kudos' the post if it helped you. 

Please let us know if you are having any further issues or have any questions at all. We'll be here to help on the community forums if needed :). 

Here to help 🙂
Carley