Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Email outgoing server not working on ntlworld.com

My ntlworld.com outgoing email is not working, I am able to get incoming mail, phoned VM weren’t interested because it was on my iPad

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Email outgoing server not working on ntlworld.com

Hello ICross

The frontline support aren't always very good - they can only fix small problems.  But I do think they should point you in the right direction!  Maybe they suggested the Community Forum? 

Firstly, you may find you are able to send via webmail on a web browser (such as safari) at home, as that uses different servers to email clients.  Also, you may be able to send using the email client if you turn off your wi-fi and use the data connection from your mobile device (smartphone or tablet)  or try away from home on someone else's wifi (friend or public place)

Please let us know if any of these is true.

But you need to find out exactly why.  The community needs the error code to be absolutely sure, but I suspect that your home external IP address is on the spamhaus.org blacklist, used by VM to block infected networks.

You can check on https://www.spamhaus.org/lookup/ and tell us which list you are on (PBL is normal, SBL /CSS or XBL are not good)  Don't tell us your IP address, just the listing.

If you have a PC/laptop with Outlook or can download thunderbird for free - you can get a VM error code - it will look like VMxxx.  Instructions here: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Outgoing-Authentication-Issues-Check-Email-Logs/td-p/3237...

When you tell us the error code we can assist with diagnosing and getting your network back in shape.  The VIP community users have a list of the codes.  Please tell us what you find out and we will help.  Best wishes!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

BEWARE OF SCAMMERS SAYING THEY WORK FOR VM. Do not give any personal or account information over unless the person has the VM Logo next to their username.

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Tried checking IP address on Spamhaus..... not on any list. Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

That is good news.  I may have jumped the gun.

Please read this thread and see if it helps - it has often helped users of apple products

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Ipad-Iphone-SMTP-why-deleting-and-recreating-an-account-D...

BEWARE OF SCAMMERS SAYING THEY WORK FOR VM. Do not give any personal or account information over unless the person has the VM Logo next to their username.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I am glad one of those ideas worked to solve your problem.  Can you let us know which one?  It helps future people who search the forum.

Please come back if you have any other situations - the community is always here to help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Good morning, just to let you know my problem isn’t solved don’t know if I have hit a wrong button to make you think I had. I have tried the last post about Apple users but hasn’t worked for me. I have resorted to an old @live email for now. Thank you for your suggestions

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I'm sorry to hear that. You should scroll back to the posts and use post options to untick the helpful answer button.  They call it helpful answer, but it marks the whole thread as SOLVED.

Humour me a moment - we don't want to leave this puzzle in case it is a threat to your security.  The other email address provider may not care if you are on a blacklist.  Only a few email providers (VM and BT, from what I gather) check against the blacklist and in the meantime, you may be an unwitting source of spam.

Type into a search engine = what is my WAN IP address.  That will be your EXTERNAL IP address.  Use that to do the look up at spamhaus.  Often folk get confused and search for their internal IP addresses, which obviously is never listed.

It is the difference between 10 Downing Street and drawing room, or bathroom.  Lots of people have a drawing room and bathroom, but there is only one 10 Downing Street!

I am out today, but someone else in the community will read this thread and give you advice if you post back with the results of the search - again, don't post your IP address, just the result of which list you are on.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@ICross wrote:

Tried checking IP address on Spamhaus..... not on any list. Thanks

Which address did you check?  If it started 192.168.0.x - then you checked the wrong one.  It also helps to know if you are seeing any error messages.

Tim

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I did check similar to the IP address you quoted I don’t know where else to look. The only message I get is that user name and password incorrect.... but they aren’t. I am lost for what to do.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tim / ravenstar68 

It sounds to me as if ICross is still checking an internal IP address, as an external address would at least show on the PBL.  Can you get the Forum Team to have a look at the IP address - I believe as VM employees they have permissions to view it via the data collected by VM Community Forum system.

Then we can assist ICross more with accurate instructions.

ICross - please use an internet search to ask " WHAT IS MY PUBLIC IP ADDRESS "  That is the address you compare to the spamhaus list --- NOT the one starting with 192. ravenstar68 made it quite clear.

DON'T TELL US THE ADDRESS - that is your private information.  We just want the LIST(s) the address is showing on.

0 Kudos