cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email on PC not working but ok on phone

dodgey1
Tuning in

Hi

since an Virginmedia email maintenance several days ago i cannot login to my NTL/Virgin mail accounts through Thunderbird but can access them through webmail or via my phone . Tried on several PCs but they will not accept the password or config . Account passwords must be OK because webmail recognises them and i can see new emails , same for my smartphone . Any ideas where to go from here ?

Cheers

Dodgey1

9 REPLIES 9

VMCopperUser
Wise owl

There are major problems with their mail servers at the moment.

imap.ntlworld.com was more responsive than imap.virginmedia.com .. The Google Mail app pushes out imap.ntlworld.com and Thunderbird pushes out imap.virginmedia.com, so on the pc try using imap.ntlworld.com and you may get some usage back. Just be warned the service has been falling over since about the 19th of June and really really falling over since about the 30th of June (They shut it down at 00:01 to "fix" something).  All in all, You may want to start migrating important things away from VM.

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.

Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Dodgey1,

Thanks for your post. Sorry to hear you're struggling to access your emails via Thunderbird mail. 

I appreciate that you are able to sign in via our webmail without any issues, however can you please try changing the email password to see if that helps give things a bit of a refresh?

I'd also recommend taking a look at our recommended email settings for third party email clients here.

Keep us posted

Beth

:/...

Bad advice I must say.

OP says Webmail Okay & Some Third Party Applications Okay.  So that means they have both the Web password and the App Password correct.

----
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.

KPardoe
On our wavelength

I haven't seen anything from Virgin that acknowledges the kind of problems you (and I) are having with respect to some devices allowing access and others not.  Especially when the username/password combination works for one device and application and not for another.  Quite odd, being as none of this was a problem before 16/06/23...

Hi KPardoe 👋🏼.

Our teams were working through the night to complete planned and essential work to our email service. This was carried out overnight to minimise disruption for our email users, but unfortunately we have since encountered some technical difficulties which means email users may be experiencing intermittent issues with their email service. We apologise for the inconvenience this is causing and our teams are working to resolve it as soon as possible.

Thank you.

Ari - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

redsamm0n
Joining in

I've got same problem, Thunderbird can't connect to imap server but I get emails via phone (xxx%blueyonder@gtempaccount.com) and by logging onto VirginMedia mail.

I've never used a separate 'app password' for Thunderbird which has always worked. Thunderbird doesn't give you the option to create a separate password, it only allows the option of  'normal password' for both imap and smtp.

So, have VM, as of 30th June, introduced a new security requirement (this 'app password)' which renders Thunderbird unusable?

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@redsamm0n  It took me a while to find where to change the password in Thunderbird. 

Step 1: Windows: Click the hamburger icon in the upper right and select Options. Mac: Click Thunderbird menu in the upper left and select Preferences.

Step 2: Select Security tab then the Passwords tab. Then select “Saved Passwords…” ...

Step 3: Select and remove the current password for the email account concerned.

Step 4: Quit and reopen Thunderbird and enter your new password for when prompted. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

redsamm0n
Joining in

Thank you. I created an 'app password' for the first time but despite your instruction found it impossible to edit the  existing password in Thunderbird. (i.e. the VM login password which has worked with various email clients for the past 10 years or so).

So I un-installed and re-installed Thunderbird using the new 'app password' and it appears to be working - so far... The problem appears to have been breaking IMAP authentication (presumably during the work caried out on sunday) by enforcing this new 'app password' requirement without actually telling anyone?

They now have a two password system in place.  If you change your password through the website it doesn't change the "App Password" - password used for external applications.  So you would keep using the old (pre-change) password for that or you need to generate a new app password.  If your password is of the old a123456789 format that VM issued then I would generate a new app password as it's probably going to be much more secure, if your old password was a strong one then I wouldn't change it.

----