Menu
JuraGirl
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Email not working, now for the 3rd time

Hi, I replied on an existing post of mine but have had no response.

For the third time since the end of June I have no email access. I have the error message saying sorry email is not available at the moment, please try in an hour. I have tried every hour since yesterday morning (6th).

it’s possible the block has been applied by Virgin as there is some evidence of unauthorised use (messages saying emails that I didn’t send were not delivered, attempts to change my password on other sites). I changed my password after my email was restored last time, I don’t know what else to do. 

i think someone from Virgin needs to take a look as in the past it needed unblocking at their end.

Thanks for any help!

coenoby
Super solver
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Email not working, now for the 3rd time

@JuraGirl wrote:

Thanks for any help!

I cannot resolve the problem for you but I can give you a couple of tips: 😉

1) Never believe it when you see the error message "try again in an hour". It is highly unlikely that the problem will go away so post your problem on this forum straight away.  The Forum Team can get your account unlocked as they did before.

2) If this problem keeps happening it is highly likely that it is linked to the signs of unathorised access that you listed. VM email is not very secure and the only steps that you can take are to follow all the advice listed here: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-my-email-has-been-hacked 

A third tip would be to set up a new email account with a more secure email provider (Outlook.com and Gmail are the 2 market leaders). You could switch to using that new email for everything but at the very least use that email address for all your financially sensitive online accounts such as Amazon, Ebay, PayPal etc. Also, if any of those sites offer 2 factor authentication  (I know that Amazon does) then turn that on.

A more secure email account and taking advantage of any added security  that your online accounts offer will make the hackers' lives more difficult and yours a bit easier. 🙂

I'll step back now and hopefully one of the Forum Team will be along to help you out.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
JuraGirl
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi @coenoby, thanks for your very helpful advice. You’re right, I have stopped believing the try in an hour’ message but always feeli should give it a little time in case it is a global issue and is automatically resolved. I will try everything you’ve suggested once I get my access restored. I already have a gmail account so I’m on the way! I am reluctant to close the Virgin account as I know it’s been shared among professional contacts, but I’m sure it’s a good idea to switch financially sensitive stuff over to gmail.

coenoby
Super solver
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for marking my post as helpful answer. However the VM Forum Team may interpret that as meaning that your problem has been solved and overlook this thread.

Can I respectfully ask you to click on "Post Options" on that post and remove the Helpful Answer marker? By all means give me kudos by clicking on the thumbs up icon though. 🙂

I hope the Forum Team soon sort things out for you.

Just to help them, here are the links to your earlier threads on the same issue.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Mailbox-unavailable/m-p/4298832#M195791 

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Email-unavailable-again/m-p/4357807#M200303 

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi JuraGirl

Thanks for posting. I am sorry for the email issues. I'll send you a PM so I can get this sorted 🙂

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for joining me on PM @JuraGirl,

Just to update the thread, the mailbox has been enabled

Kind regards.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"