Menu
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 11 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Re: Email not sending

@vj531 wrote:

Sound like I've been infected with these/this spambots.
I'm running Malwarebytes full package.
Should this not be stopping this?

No AntiVirus AntiMalware package is perfect.

Wireshark is little above my tech level I think 

I've tried to make the post as clear as possible.  If you give it a try, but if you do get stuck post on here and we'll try to help.

Stephen

You do need to adopt the mindset that ANYTHING on the network could be causing this issue not just a computer.  We have seen the following named as causing this issue.

Amazon Firestick (non stock software added)
Mobile Phones
PC
Sony Smart TV

If you are using Hola Free VPN on any of your devices then my strongest advice would be to remove it.  Several users have indicated that they've seen spam traffic coming via this - This is because Hola is not a true VPN - rather it is a peer to peer network.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 12 of 26
Flag for a moderator

interesting what you say about Hola, as we’ve got this and only relatively recently added it, so I wonder if that’s the culprit. So, going to get rid of that first and then look at the Wireshark

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 13 of 26
Flag for a moderator

A better way of doing this would be to take a look at wireshark first to see if you can see port 25 traffic, and then again once you've removed Hola.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 14 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Do you mean, take everything else off WiFi? Currently running Wireshark and it’s Capturing from WiFi and is running through packets - I looked for tcp port 25 but that wasn’t an option in the filter
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 15 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Ah, didn’t see the suggestion about leaving Hola on, I’ve already got rid of it!

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 16 of 26
Flag for a moderator

I am assuming I just leave Wireshark running for as long as it takes, or, will it never finish running?  As you can tell, I’m a little bit (read massively) over my head here!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 17 of 26
Flag for a moderator

I’ve worked out how to get the tcp port 25 into the capture frame and that is currently running and nothing captured as yet. I couldn’t do the telnet smtp... step as that wasn’t present in the Mac OS option. There was an “add Wireshark to the system path.pkg” option but my OS wouldn’t let me install it as it couldn’t guarantee it didn’t have any viruses in it, ironically. 

so I guess I just leave Wireshark running on Tcp port 25 for a few hours and see what it picks up?  My iPhones and iPad are all on the WiFi Network too at the moment. Let me know if I’m missing something obvious, otherwise we’ll see what it captures I suppose?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 18 of 26
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It'll keep listening until you stop it.  I'd say run it for an hour and if you've still got a blank screen the it's likely you're not going to get anything.

You could try de-listing your IP at the CSS and see if you end up back on the blacklist.  If it was Hola that's to blame, you shouldn't be relisted.

Tim

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 19 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Not seen anything turn up on it, so looks like it may well have been Hola. 
Going to see if CSS will unblock us. One stupid question, is up asking for the “Hostname on the IP” any idea what that would be?  It’s also asking for my email address so it’s not that - any ideas what it would be? SMTP.blueyonder.co.uk maybe?

Thanks for all the help!

Matt

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 20 of 26
Flag for a moderator

The easiest way to get your hostname is by opening a teminal window and typing nslookup <public IP address>

Tim