Menu
mattchurchill
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Email not sending

I use an iPhone, iPad and MacBook and for some reason my emails have stopped sending on the iPad no MacBook recently, even though I’ve not changed any of the settings.  Get the username or password is incorrect error message  

I’ve compared the settings on the iPhone vs iPad and they seem to be the same, so I’m completely lost as to what’s going on. I’ve tried changing the outgoing smtp server and it just times out when verifying. 

We’ve got two email addresses (with one being an alias) and Webmail works fine on both of the addresses but not on the iPad or MacBook. I’ve just tried deleting one of the accounts on the iPad and adding it back and get the error message “Cannot connect using SSL” and when I try to go past that, it just gets stuck Verifying. 

This has been going on for quite a while now so any help or advice would be greatly received as it’s driving me crazy!

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 26
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Email not sending

Start by reading this thread:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Unable-to-send-using-Outlook/td-p/4096676

The clues are all there in your story that this is bad news - spam bot infection which you will have to find and eliminate.

The first thing is the get your IP address - easy, just open up a browser and type IP in the search box. Then copy it into Spamhaus here:

https://www.spamhaus.org/lookup/

If you see an SBLCSS listing you'll know for definite. Come back to us once you have done this.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
mattchurchill
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the link, I’ll go and have a read of it and yes, my IP address is listed there, it says it’s listed in the SBL in the SBLCSS record as well as the PBL in PBL041640

Other than this is clearly a bad thing, I’ve no idea what it means!

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Hello

As you are on SBLCSS then you have a spambot somewhere on your network see :- https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Searching-for-Spambots-on-your-network/td-p/40... for finding it. Beaware that spam bots apart from sending may also be spying on your network, so it is an urgency to find it and destroy it. It can be any device from Smart TV, Android Boxes, Computers etc.

Regards Mike

I dont work for VirginMedia all opinions are my own.
39 years in IT.
0 Kudos
mattchurchill
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Thanks a lot I’ll give that a go. It says about using a PC but we’ve got Macs only, will it still work?

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Hello

Yeah MAC is pretty much the same although wiresharks interface my by a little different.

Mike

I dont work for VirginMedia all opinions are my own.
39 years in IT.
0 Kudos
vj531
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Sound like I've been infected with these/this spambots.
I'm running Malwarebytes full package.
Should this not be stopping this?

Wireshark is little above my tech level I think 

Stephen

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 26
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Make sure you download Wireshark for the Mac. Good luck. Post back here if you need help. TIP: Do your Mac first with nothing else connected to it. Eliminate the laptop as the spam bot lair first.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
mattchurchill
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Thanks a lot. Going to have a stab at it shortly

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 26
Flag for a moderator

@vj531 wrote:

Sound like I've been infected with these/this spambots.
I'm running Malwarebytes full package.
Should this not be stopping this?

Wireshark is little above my tech level I think 

Stephen

Simple answer - no AV or malware package is guaranteed to find everything or anything.  And please start your own thread if you want help and advice. It makes for a confusing life if we try to advise more than one person in one thread. As much to help you as to help us.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos