Menu
robbyell
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Email not sending

Hi chaps

For some reason my email stopped sending and receiving, then staretd receiving again but not sending.  These are ntlworld.com accounts (though I'm still a VM customer) and what you see in the pic below is Outlook.  I'm trying to plan my Dad's funeral, so could do without this at this point in time 😞

Any advice?

image.png

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Email not sending

Firstly - the first piece of advice you need is – DO NOT DISPLAY YOUR PERSONAL EMAIL DETAILS ON A PUBLIC WEBSITE. Spammers and hackers scan public websites such as this for valid addresses which they add to their target list.

@ModTeam  – Can we hide the image please.

Secondly – when you failed to send/receive emails, what error messages were reported?

And you do have a Broadband account which shows all your addresses when you login to My VirginMedia/My Profile/Manage Accounts - yes?

0 Kudos
robbyell
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

1) Thanks for hiding the image

2) The "error message" is on the image - just wants me to tap the password in for the smtp accounts

3) Can't see that link

4) Can someone turn my email back on please - I'm trying to organise a funeral.  I lost my mobile recep earlier and can't seem to get reception at all up at my Dad's.  Virgin asking to be replaced by something that works and very much in the mood to do it.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@robbyell 

The "error message" you mention is a generic error that doesn't actually tell us what Virgin Media's email server sent back to Outlook.  There are around 12 different errors that can cause password authentication to fail.  Only one of which is down to an incorrect password.  A number of other errors don't have anything to do with account issues, but are rather related to security issues.

Have a read of my post here: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Outgoing-Authentication-Issues-Check-Email-Logs/m...

Follow the advice in that post with regards to turning on logging so we can see what error message the SMTP server is sending out.  Once we have that we can offer advice tailored to your situation.

I note in your post here that you can still send and receive using Webmail - https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Cannot-Send-emails-from-my-primary-account-email-address/... - while this may be inconvenient in the short term, can I suggest that you can at least use that in your current situation.  I know it's far from ideal, and I do ask that the Forum Team deal with this thread promptly, but at least you can both monitor the RSVP's and send out any replies.

Tim

@ModTeam - Can you please restore the Sticky back to this board - I've just had a fun time finding it.  Can you also please expedite a Forum team member looking at this thread to assist this user given the circumstances

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

1. Go to www.virginmedia.com

2. MyVirginMedia is in the middle of the black band at the top of the page.

3. MyVirginMedia/My Profile/Manage Accounts – is a quick way to check that all 3 of your accounts which are requesting password details are correctly connected and known to the email system – and are not so-called “Orphan addresses”.

4. Put “outlook asks for password every time” into a Google search and you will find that you are experiencing a common problem with Outlook, dating back many years – and there are multiple causes and fixes. As @ravenstar68  has suggested, switching on Outlook logging will hopefully identify the real reason in your case.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hello robbyell

First of all I am very sorry to hear about  your recent loss

This must be the last thing you need to happen right now 

Would you mind if I can take some security answers by Private Message 

Once this has been done I can look at getting this issue resolved 

Regards 

Gareth_L

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for passing security robbyell

I have asked our IT Team to look into the error (0x800CCC1A)

They are very efficient at fixing things like this 

However I will need to advise it can sometimes take a few days maximum

As soon as I have an update I shall let you know

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hello robbyell

Can you please try sending an email now 

If that fails again. can you see if it allows you to send by webmail through your Virgin Media account 

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
robbyell
Tuning in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Gareth - I've sent an email from my main address which seems to have gone OK.  There's another email account attached the the account which I didn't give you as it's on a different domain, but which I think we also had problems with:

[REMOVED]

Would your IT chaps be able to do the same for this one too?

Thanks again for your help.  Could you let me know what went wrong?

[Mod Edit – Removed Personal Information ]

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@robbyell - Please do not post your personal details on the main Forum.  @BillC45 and myself have already advised why it's a bad idea to post your personal details on a public Forum like this.

Spammers employ web bots that search the internet looking for email addresses.  Once your address has been acquired then expect to receive spam and phishing mail - assuming you don't already, or worse as the hackers have one half of the information needed to hack your account.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos