Menu
Oldcolner46
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Email not being received now mailbox inaccessible

My wife’s email has stopped receiving messages yesterday but could still send. It had received phishing emails for a few days prior. The Spam filter didn’t work for many. We had blocked senders and set up filters to cut them down. We changed her password to no avail and noticed a message saying After deleting the Spam something like the server wouldn’t complete the action. The messages disappeared but the mailbox was not accessible giving this message 

Your mailbox is not available at the moment.

Please retry again in one hour and make sure you are using the correct password to access your email from all of your devices.

If the problem continues, please call our team for help on 150 from a Virgin Media phone or mobile, or 0345 454 1111 from any other phone and select option 2. For details about how much it costs to call our team from a Virgin Media home phone, visit virginmedia.com/callcosts. Call costs from other networks and mobiles vary.

This morning the Mai box has been restored to the situation before deleting them. 
And no messages have been received. 
Please can you communicate with me. It’s urgent as she needs links to upcoming Zoom meetings

0 Kudos
Oldcolner46
Joining in
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Email not being received now mailbox inaccessible

This is an ntlworld account and has been receiving Norton McAfee spam for a week, apparently a long standing Virgin vulnerability which has lots of reports but no answers.  I noticed last night somehow my wife’s email address was on the blocked list. So maybe these messages are hacking in somehow. I unblocked it and changed the password, but nothing happened. My test messages didn’t get through.

I phoned the helpline but they couldn’t see the problem as my wife’s email is on my account?

Nice but not helpful advised us to get another email account, didn’t react to my spam filter fail concerns.

Anyway suddenly emails came in from today, but nothing at all from yesterday, so she’s missed possibly important ones. 

trying this Regex suggestion to stop the Spam.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Daily-Spam-re-Norton-Mcafee/td-p/4501578/page/7

0 Kudos
Oldcolner46
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Would have been nice to have an answer, but nothing at all. Surely so many messages getting through you spam filters must deserve urgent attention.

0 Kudos
Zak_M
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Good morning @Oldcolner46 

Welcome to the forums, thank you for taking the time to post. 

I am sorry to hear that you have had some issues with your email address. 

Please can you let us know how things are looking since your last post? 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

0 Kudos
Oldcolner46
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Zak

Thanks for getting back eventually. I had expected a much quicker response given the seriousness of an inaccessible mailbox.
I have managed to get the mailbox working but My wife is still getting Norton and MacAfee emails - 3 in just now. 
why doesn’t the Spam filter work?

can’t you block any emails with these subjects not from the companies? Why don’t you ask for email senders to be reported to you?

I have been forwarding these emails to report@phishing.gov.uk and have 11 I can forward to you if you send me your address.

I have been adding them to my blacklist but am fearful this may get full and create mailbox problems. I have previously cleared 30 email addresses from the blacklist when the mailbox was inaccessible.

Your phone line even told us to use another provider that had a better spam filter. 
You need to give guidance on how to deal with such emails and sort out your Spam filter and phone support.

Sorry this is a moan but I am trying to be constructive and hope you take this in good faith.

0 Kudos
Zak_M
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for coming back to me. 

Completely understand the frustration that this has caused. 

Regarding the unwanted email, there is a thread with all of the information on, you can find it here, this includes the best way to report theses to us. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M 

0 Kudos
Oldcolner46
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Zak

Why cant you just provide an answer to How to deal with Phishing or Spam - instead of asking me to try to spot it in 3 pages of narrative.

To help I suggest this 

1 Forward any emails up to 8 at a time to phishing@virginmedia.com and report@phishing.gov.uk

2 Blacklist the sender by .....selecting the emails and then the red 3 line icon on Compose heading. Blacklist is at the bottom or as 3 below but select Blacklist below Filter on Email heading 

3 Filter the sender by letters that appear in the senders @email. Or words in the Mail Title 

do this by .....Settings on top right 3 black lines icon 

choose email and then Filter rules.

No doubt you can add more and it would help to add what you do with these phishing reports. If you do nothing what’s the point?

I see the response is this is a free service appears on your link

why am I paying £85 a month for your free service which offered email as a broadband package component? Come on pull your socks up.

0 Kudos