Menu
wawatson
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Email not arriving from zoom.us

Hi

I attend a forum where notifications are sent from no-reply@zoom.us. These notifications are sent out  7 days, 1 day, then 1 hour before the meeting starts.As from March, I have had none of these emails though my friends using other email providers get them without any problems. There has been no notice from the ntlworld/virginmedia mail delivery system for any of these missing emails

I always use ntlworld webmail to access email, so I have no client configuration issue to investigate.

The last successful email I have had delivered from zoom.us was in mid-January.

I've raised an issue with third line support about 2 weeks ago via second line support, but heard nothing. I also provided evidence of a 2-3 minute time window when such an email was generated to me from zoom.

Any iseas how to proceed from here (or get to see a response from 3rd line)?

Thanks

William Watson

0 Kudos
Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Email not arriving from zoom.us

Hi wawatson,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome back, I am sorry to hear you aren't able to receive emails from Zoom.us.

I have had a look our and can see you have spoken to us and a I T ticket was raised however no issues are showing, are you able to get a header showing this has failed, have you spoken to ZOOM?

regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
wawatson
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your response.

"... you have spoken to us and a I T ticket was raised however no issues are showing, are you able to get a header showing this has failed, have you spoken to ZOOM?"

I'd also heard that an IT ticket was raised but I had no response within the SLA for that level (7 days, I'm told) - the second person I spoke to at the contact centre then raised another. I don't have the details of the tickets nor do I really know how to access the responses to the IT requests raised on my behalf.

I can't talk to Zoom as I am not their customer and all they've done is to point me to a list of IP addresses associated with their (email) MTAs and say that your MTA should accept email from all these addresses ( https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/360032808951-Not-able-to-receive-emails-from-Zoom ) as well as no-reply@zoom.us. However my email address held by the zoom user is correct, and I have had zoom.us email me before (last one was on 18th Jan 2021 at 16:31).

As for getting a header, I used ntlworld webmail (so client delivery to me is not an issue here) and that the client mailboxes at ntlworld received absolutely nothing either from zoom.us nor a service message from either MTA..

Given successful transmission of email to other MTAs (eg those of gmail.com) and the correct email address was held for me by the sending organisation, my hope was that 3rd level shoujld be able to confirm the security device or MTA rejection of email to me. Or have they done this with no result, so the issue probably lies with Zoom?

For this particular issue, I would have expected the ntlworld team to have checked the MTA logs and security device logs around the time I noted to see if any email had been rejected before delivery to my ntlworld-hosted mailbox. In opening the IT ticket on 3rd April, I showed that the meeting organiser resent the zoom invite a few minutes before 16:25 on 3rd April. A friend of mine received the link direct from Zoom.us at 14:57 the same day, so these time should restrict the size of logs that would need to be searched for any issue.

In many ways this seems to be the worst type of email failure ... there is no notice to either the sender nor intended receiver of an issue. I agree that an incorrect recipient email (ie mine) is  usually the most likely issue. However given the previous history this is unlikely so I requested ntlworld to check their MTA side for issues - probably arising since mid-January. 

Thanks

William Watson

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I don't work for Virgin Media, however I have been a Forum Member since 2011 and I do run my own email server, as well as having a great deal of insight into how Virgin Media's email is set up.

I've just had zoom send a request to change my email address to my blueyonder.co.uk email address and the mail arrived successfully from no-reply@zoom.us

Given that:

1. The request arrived in my Inbox
  2. Virgin Media use the same Mail Exchangers for all four email domains.

I find it unlikely that this is a fault at on VM's servers.

What I would do is log in to webmail and go into settings and check for any email filters that may have been added.  Also double check your spam folders just in case the emails are ending up there, as sieve filtering to soma extent can be account specific.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

wawatson
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tim

When I first reported the issue to the VM helpdesk, they did get me to walk through my mail folders, especially Spam to check for the message. I was also walked through my email filters to ensure the messages were not being blocked there.

From my own usage history, it is reasonable to assume what worked in January should also work 10 weeks later given "no change" certainly under my control.

Anyway, I agree that sight of what happens at the Zoom MTA would likely provide the best chance of resolving the issue (was it asked to send a message, was there a service response, etc). But that's all pie in the sky if I'm not a paid subscriber of Zoom !

Thanks for helping me out

Thanks for helping

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I'd be curious to know what specific notifications you aren't getting from zoom.us?

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
wawatson
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Tim,

I registered for a zoom call with the RPS. Their system sends back an email (from their rps.org email address) confirming the booking - so that also validates the email address I supplied to them.

From that point, they use Zoom calendar/scheduling to send out an email 1 week, 1 day, and then 1 hour from the start of the event. These emails are all from the address no-reply(at)zoom.us. It is these replies that I no longer get (last one I have evidence of was on 18th Jan 2021).

I have been able to get another attendee to forward me the '1-hour' zoom email after it had arrived at their gmail.com inbox.They had also received the other two (1 week and 1 day notice emails) but none of mine had arrived. Likewise, when the meeting organiser nudges the Zoom scheduler to send an immediate reminder, he sees a sussessful request; nothing gets delivered to me at ntlworld.com.

I have a similar session booked for this Saturday and have not received the 1-week email - I suspect this has failed to be delivered to me - I need to check.

But as I say, I see nothing of the ticket(s) raised on 3rd line - even if they reported a negative search for email rejected at the MTA (and not attempted to deliver to my mailbox)

Cheers

William

0 Kudos