Menu
Stella1820
Just joined
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Email migration

My partner has moved in with me.  He has a Virgin Media email address already, how/can he migrate it over to my VM account??

0 Kudos
HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Email migration

It's an easy question to answer, except that you won't like the answer one bit. He can't. His address will close 90 days after he leaves VM.

Addresses cannot be moved from one account to another unless the accounts are both in the same name - so in reality the only circumstances where this happens is if you move hone and have to start a new account. The old account emails can be moved then. But I stress both accounts have to be in the same name.

And you need to bear something else in mind (so all bases are covered) he can't recreate his address on your account.

Moral of the story - in these days of increasing mobility do not use ISP linked email as your mail email address. Use a free address from one of the ad supported email providers and it doesn't matter if you change ISP or move or whatever. The address will stay with you.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

The simple answer is that he cannot.  VM email addresses are not transferable between accounts.

He will need to take steps to ensure that he has a full offline copy of all emails he wants to keep.  The VM address concerned will be deleted 90 days after his broadband account closes.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@HowardML wrote:

Moral of the story - in these days of increasing mobility do not use ISP linked email as your mail email address. Use a free address from one of the ad supported email providers and it doesn't matter if you change ISP or move or whatever. The address will stay with you.

Or, if you're so inclined, buy your own domain and own on all the addresses on that domain for as long as you keep up renewals.

You can do a basic "copy and forward" where a hotmail/outlook/gmail address is hidden behind the public-facing domain, or you can buy an email box with that domain and then have complete control.

A domain solution can be as simple or as complex as you like, but doing so means you're not even tied to the whims of gmail etc.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Akua_A
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi @Stella1820

Welcome to our community forums and thank you for your first post.

We are glad to see our community were able to help with your email enquiry. 

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you need any further help.

Thanks, 

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos