Menu
gsbj
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Email login CAPATCHA

The log in CAPATCHA has become excessively problemmatic time consuming and frustrating, often requiring more than 12 user screens, even when all selections were apparently correct.  Taken with the password protection, this is much more than should be necessary to confront AI bots.

For me, this has become a deal breaker, and although I have been with you for more than 20 years, I am now looking for another ISP, either at lower cost, to pay for a separate email facility, or with usable email provision.  I pay GBP55 for Broadband only (phone packed up years ago), so this should not be difficult!

I also have problems with support for the Thunderbird email client on my second machine.  This continues to download messages, but the upload now fails.

Please note that due to the difficulty of contacting Virgin, I shall notify you when I move to an alternative provider, by stopping my direct debit payment.

0 Kudos
HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Email login CAPATCHA

With some respect to the fact that you are a bit frustrated at the moment it never ceases to amaze me that people are prepared to press the nuclear button just because their ISP's email system is a little flaky. Why leave VM when all you need to is to switch to one of the non-ISP linked mail providers out there who make a speciality of providing email. I've been with VM and its predecessor companies since 1990. I moved my email to Outlook.com ages ago. It is isn't difficult. 

The captcha issue comes and goes. I've had a few times recently but it never lasts very long. If your behaviour is to repeatedly to log in and out of VM mail you'll get caught by captcha. 

It is not VM's responsibility to support email clients like T/Bird. That is solely down to you. But this Forum will good at offering advice if you do have an issue because so many VM users use T/Bird without issue. You know what to do if you want help.

Finally let me make this very clear so you are in no doubt about what will happen if you just stop your DD payments. VM will treat each missing payment as a default. You will charged a late payment fee. Your account will be passed to VM collections for enforcement action, the debt collectors will call. Your credit record will be trashed for six years. And if you don't care about any of that then wait for the day that you do need some form of consumer credit or need to prove your credit worthiness and then live with the disappointment. You signed a contract with VM. That requires you to give notice to leave in person, usually over the phone. Expect VM to hold you to that.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
gsbj
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for that.  We have been around for about the same time.  I joined NTL in 98, or 99, so have a somewhat balanced view of the increasing difficulty of accessing email.  And, as for Nuclear Option, moving to another ISP,especially one who would offer me a three year contract, at much less cost, would be sound sense.  One aspect that has kept me with NTL/Virgin for two decades has been the consistent email ID, without which I would probably have joined the usual churn.   What is the current churn rate?  Hardly likely to be less than ten per-cent.   And, yes, I do log in and out of email, and I clear my cache, and untll recenrtly, that has never been a problem.  As for Outlook, Yahoo, gmail et al, that is your choice, but would not be mine.  A paid for service would be better.  

"It is not VM's responsibility to support email clients like T/Bird"  But, it would be helpful both to users and for retention, if ISP were to povide a consistent interface and not make unannounced changes.

"Finally let me make this very clear so you are in no doubt about what will happen ... "  With respect  to your somewhat pompous diatribe. Firstly, I have no fixed contract with VM.  That is now rolling, and clrearly I would have a responsibility to (attempt to) communicate my intent to discontinue. Sadly, VM are difficult to communicate with.  They generally expect customers to telephone them - which is hardly a reliable proposition.  Strictly, termination of contract should be to the "directing mind", usually by post, (not in person) but in view of the paucity of available contact information, I would not expect VM to seek a judgement to establish breach, and enable recovery of "missed payments"! 

Do you have shares in Liberty Global?

0 Kudos
HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

And I never ceased to be amazed at the accusations that somehow I have a financial interest in VM or its holding company. If said in jest it is  in very poor taste, and if said intentionally it is plain insulting. I just give plain, straightforward advice.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks