Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Email inbox emptied

I opened emails on my ipad and all had disappeared.  I checked my phone and I watched as the phone connected to virgin media and then watched as they disappeared. I checked virgin media online and the inbox is empty. Sent and saved folders still there but nothing of received emails. They are not in the trash or deleted folders.

I’ve followed guidance for changing passwords, etc ! but am very frustrated that I’ve been trying to make contact with virgin media for 24 hours and have had no response even though I’ve had messages to say they will! I know they have delays because of COVID but 24 hours for a security breach?

Do I need to do anything else other than password and check forwarding?

who do I complain to about virgin media making it so hard to communicate with anyone?

thanks in advance.

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 2 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Re: Email inbox emptied

You're not alone - the same thing happened to me!

The whole of my Inbox disappeared.

I've tried to contact Virgin but apparently there is over an hour wait time!

I assume its a blanket issue - anyone else??

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 24
Flag for a moderator

I waited for over an hour yesterday on the phone then gave up. I was waiting on live chat for someone to respond for over 8 hours then the live chat closed itself down.

I went on Twitter and got a response . . . From a fake representative who started asking for my bank details. Someone from virgin media has replied today but wants time to go over it all on Twitter - I refused. I have reported the fake account but virgin media were not so happy to provide me with a secure way to discuss it.

I waited on the phone again this morning but the phone battery ran out before it got answered. What a palava! I just want to know if it’s a glitch or a security breach 😫

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 24
Flag for a moderator

What type of phone – I’ll assume iPhone – so iOS on iPad and iPhone – yes/no?

Have your iOS devices received recent software updates – which versions are you on?

Check your settings -

Go to iOS Settings -> Accounts & Passwords -> your email account -> Advanced -> Incoming settingsVarious options including - Delete Inbox incoming email after 1 day/week/month/Never etc, just choose Never. Safest thing is always to delete/tidy-up emails via the server and allow IMAP to sync content with other devices.

If using IMAP, your phone obviously started up, synched with the server state of “empty Inbox”, and therefore emptied the phone to match – before your very eyes.

Your other possible problem could be that you have been hacked, your Inbox copied and then deleted. Follow the advice here checking for any re-directs etc -

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-my-email-has-been-hacked

On balance I’d guess your Inbox has been deleted accidentally by the phone or iPad.

And please read this -

Email use

6.5. It is your responsibility to back up the contents of your Virgin Media email account.”

See -https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/acceptable-use-policy

It’s in the Terms and Conditions.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply.  I think I’ve followed all the advice on checking the account security.

I did check for user error but I can’t work out how I would manage to delete all the emails without touching anything so am eliminating this option from my enquiries.

I also access emails via a laptop / outlook. That was emptied in the same way, as the laptop connected with the server. So again, I think the issue was with the online version, which then updated all of my devices.

Thanks for drawing my attention to the terms and conditions. I thought I had backed up important emails by saving into appropriate folders on my computer. However, they are now presenting as blank when opened. I won’t pretend to understand it all, but this ‘back up’ obviously wasn’t sufficient (it did work prior to the emails being deleted so I must have saved them as a link?)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 24
Flag for a moderator

You’re not the only one this has happened to AliBP, I had the exact same thing happen on my iPad last Sunday and there are two other threads where posters have experienced the same in the last week.

I’ve had my Blueyonder account for 13 years, and have always had an iPad from the outset and this has never happened before.  

Very annoying and frustrating!

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 24
Flag for a moderator

I have the same problem my inbox has emptied on my Samsung phone ! My sents are still there and a folder ! All disappeared on outlook and on virgin email. What's happening how fo we fix this ? All my important emails gone ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Mine started Friday 20th too the new emails arrived after then stayed until this morning sunday 22nd all vanished again ! Who can we call at virgin I cant hear any options for email help .must all be connected cant be losing emails like this !

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 24
Flag for a moderator

It's happened to me inbox been deleted all other folders still there ! .all deleted on outlook too what can we do ? Cant keep happening 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Have you changed your password since Friday? If you haven’t, then it might be an idea to do so. I was worried that my account was hacked so have changed everything (see link near top of thread). It’s worrying that your inbox has emptied again. 

if I’m honest, I don’t think virgin media seem to be that worried about supporting customers with emails. I can’t seem to get through to anyone and when I commented on Twitter and Facebook, they just tell me I need to ring! (Although can’t tell me who I need to speak to). It is extremely frustrating. 

in the process of trying to sort this out, I have been approached by a scammer, pretending to be virginmedia, trying to get my bank details! As if this wasn’t stressful enough.

0 Kudos