Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Email in limbo

Hi,

I need to re-use an old blueyonder email address, rosaw@blueyonder.co.uk, I have requested the address and the online system accepted it.  In order to use it you have to respond to an email in the new addresses inbox, however when you attempt to login into the mailbox, the email add and password are accepted, but you get a message saying:

"You haven't confirmed this username yet. Please check your inbox for a message called 'Confirm your My Virgin Media username' and click the link in the email."

It's impossible to login.  I have had an ongoing ticket with the support team, P010181257, since October the 5th and phoned back twice since then to no avail. They claim the backend team need to look at it, but 17 days and absolutely nothing has been done.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Email in limbo

The simple fact is that while the system appears to have accepted the address the VM backend will recognise it as having been used previously and discarded. No e-mail provider ever lets addresses be recycled. It is a sure fire security breach if they do. That's the end of the matter. The address cannot, under any circumstances, be recreated and the e-mail notification will not be sent, even though it appears that it has.  No legacy domain addresses have been possible any way for many years.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Really,

i’m still using my blueyonder email address! Don’t know how the one I want back got killed in the first place, it’s a secondary account that somehow changed to a virginmedia.com address.  Probably because it hadn’t been used in a long time?

only need it back to re-enable an Instagram account that’s linked to the blueyonder email address.’

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

There is no way that blueyonder addresses can be changed to Virginmedia ones.  It simply isn't possible.

If a blueyonder email address, or any other VM domain email address, isn't accessed at least once in a 150 day period it is liable to be closed.

Your initial post implies that you have tried to change the username for an existing email address to the lost blueyonder addresses.  That will never achieve your goal as changing the username doesn't alter the underlying email address.

As @HowardML  has already told you it isn't possible to resurrect a deduct blueyonder email address.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Ask Instagram what to do. They will have a procedure to resurrect an account where the user has now a different e-mail address. This is not a problem that VM can or will solve for you, which is why we have advised the way we have. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@Graham_A  Has hit the nail on the head here.

What you did was to change your username.  NOT request a new email address.  The system should not even let you change the username to a different Virgin Media owned address anyway.  If the address was valid, it can cause all sorts of issues.

So go back to my.virginmedia.com and log in with your old username and password.  Then select the Cancel change link to undo your change.

Doing a quick check.  The blueyonder address you gave in the OP does not exist on VM's system, and it has been impossible to create new blueyonder addresses since NTL/Telewest rebranded as Virgin Media back in 2010.

Tim