Menu
bedazzleddobe
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Email images blocked?

Why am I only able to get thumnail images in my incoming emails even when I click on 'show images'? Probably my settings but I've trawled all the help guides and can't find a way of showing them. Help!

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Email images blocked?

Image size is probably specified within email's source text. What happens if you right click on image and select open in new tab / window?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@bedazzleddobe wrote:

Why am I only able to get thumnail images in my incoming emails even when I click on 'show images'? Probably my settings but I've trawled all the help guides and can't find a way of showing them. Help!

Is this occuring when viewing email through the VM webmail page (https://mail2.virginmedia.com/) or when using a third party email client?

This happens to me occasionally when my security software throws a wobbly and blocks all images from being downloaded.

A computer reboot usually fixes it for me.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

bedazzleddobe
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The image will open in a new tab but not within the email. Not satisfactory when there are several images you want to look at.
0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@bedazzleddobe wrote:
The image will open in a new tab but not within the email. Not satisfactory when there are several images you want to look at.

That suggests that the images are attached to the email rather than embedded in the email body.

If that is so then the behaviour you are seeing is to be expected.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The implication of having to select Show images is that their source is remote; attached images are local and rendered without the need to select Show Images.

Email client's do rescale images, for example image with width of 320 and 3827 pixels are shown below:
2020-12-13-00.jpeg
Note how wider image is drastically scaled down but this would still not explain thumbnails reported by bedazzleddobe unless resolution constraints were made within the email, for example:
2020-12-13-01.jpeg