Menu
AllanH
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Email hacked

• My email appears to be hacked. Emails that I have not seen before are opened and read. Emails from Facebook, Microsoft and Instagram have also been received quoting my email address staying my password has been saved. Facebook account is now locked. I believe that it is all due to my Ntlworld email address having been hacked.
0 Kudos
Hayley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Email hacked

Hello @AllanH.

Welcome to the community page, thank you for posting on here.

I am sorry to see that your email has been hacked, have you tried changing your password recently?

I would love to try and help you resolved this.

Look forward to your response.

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
AllanH
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Not changed password as yet, Someone appears to be using email address for Facebook, Instagram and Microsoft. If I changed my password. Would they still have access to my emails?

0 Kudos
Hayley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

If you change your password this would stop them being able to log in if they log out.

Also we have a web page on how to do this here.

Please do see this page here to see how to deal with a 'Hacked' email account 🙂

Please do try both these links and follow the advice and instructions and let me know how it goes @AllanH.

Look forward to your response.

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

AllanH
Tuning in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Today I received a sextortaion email from my own email address. They claim that they have complete control of my email address. Although the claims completely false It is worrying when they say that they have they say that they have complete control of my contacts etc,

0 Kudos
Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

We can certainly appreciate your frustration with this. 

At this point we do advise following the advice we have provided. 

^Martin

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@AllanH wrote:

Not changed password as yet, Someone appears to be using email address for Facebook, Instagram and Microsoft. If I changed my password. Would they still have access to my emails?

Seriously?

VM staff have to sugar coat their posts here, I'm not going to sugar coat mine though as you need to WAKE UP.

If someone is accessing your account then they MUST KNOW your email address and password.

So the first thing you need to d is deny them further access to your account.  If you haven't done so CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD NOW!!  This should be basic common sense.

HOWEVER make sure you change it to a password completely unrelated to the one you are using, consider using a password manager such as Keepass to make a truly random password.  Also consider changing your security question and answer as well.  Make sure that you are using details that can't be gleaned from your facebook account.

Once you've done that, the next thing to do is to lock them out of any other accounts they have access to by changing the passwords on them as well.

Consider reporting this to ActionFraud as well.  If you are receiving sextortion emails, DON'T PAY, once you've made one payment, your opening yourself up to a whole lot of grief.

Changing passwords in response to something like this SHOULD ALWAYS BE THE FIRST THING YOU DO.  This is basic common sense.  I cannot stress this enough.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

AllanH
Tuning in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply.

I will not pay anything as the contents of their email is completely false and there is no way that they can be true. 

However I find the whole thing alarming and distressing. I can easily see the why some would panic and pay. 

What I do not get is how it appears in my sent items as well as my inbox.

I have changed my password for my email address. I have also created a new email address that I intend to use from now on.

I have checked “Ihaveibeenpwned” and it appears that I have been “pawned” from various apps that I have downloaded over the years.

As I have said it is affecting my Facebook , Microsoft and Instagram accounts.

0 Kudos
AllanH
Tuning in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I meant to add that I am in the process of changing my passwords and email address for my bank accounts.

0 Kudos
Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for keeping us posted on this. 

^Martin

0 Kudos