cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email hacked and cannot stop hacker continually adding auto forward

Lucy221
Joining in

Hello,

My mum's ntlworld email account was hacked last week. This was due to clicking the 'view my bill' link sent in a spoof VM email she received. Thankfully the password was not changed so I was able to gain access, change password and remove the auto forward and filter rules that had been set up.

After a couple of days I noticed the auto forward had been changed back to hackers email, so I again changed the password and deleted the rules that had been applied.

This has happened 4 times now and I need advice as to what i need to do to prevent them further access.

I have noticed this morning that I was able to access her email from a computer that she was signed in on prior to the password changes, so assume this may be why they still have access as the password change is not preventing access. What else can i do to secure her account?

She is a VM customer and where possible would like to delete her NTL email as it is causing her problems, is this possible or does she need to keep it to access VM?

Any help would be much appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Regrettable the sign out of other sessions option was removed from webmail and we are still awaiting an update here Re: Remote log off from e-mail - Virgin Media Community - 5113452. I can only suggest you try the same workaround of:

• in webmail select ⚙ > Security
  • change Automatic sign out to 5 minutes
  • wait no less than 5 minutes
  • confirm webmail automatically signed out
  • then  check if webmail is still accessible on the other computer where she was signed in

Should you still find the miscreant is able to add an auto-forward rule then follow the advice here, My Virgin media email has been hacked | Virgin Media Help

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Regrettable the sign out of other sessions option was removed from webmail and we are still awaiting an update here Re: Remote log off from e-mail - Virgin Media Community - 5113452. I can only suggest you try the same workaround of:

• in webmail select ⚙ > Security
  • change Automatic sign out to 5 minutes
  • wait no less than 5 minutes
  • confirm webmail automatically signed out
  • then  check if webmail is still accessible on the other computer where she was signed in

Should you still find the miscreant is able to add an auto-forward rule then follow the advice here, My Virgin media email has been hacked | Virgin Media Help

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

Thanks very much for your response.

I didn't realise about the sign out option. I have changed the settings and it is working on the computers I have access to, but will keep a look out for any changes to the auto forward. It is a shame the sign out of all devices option has been removed, as it is a very quick way to regain control after this type of event.

Hi @Lucy221 thanks for posting and welcome to our community.

I am sorry to hear your mum's email address has been fraudulently accessed.  Have you been able to monitor things?  If so, has the advice from 用心棒 helped resolve the issue?  If not, please do get back to us and we will be able take a closer look on your behalf.

Regards

Lee_R