Menu
CDMK
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Email from Inbox disappeared!

I've read through several other questions about this. I use Thunderbird on a Windows desktop. Have had Blueyonder email address for almost 20 years. I just opened my inbox and most of my Inbox messages have disappeared. I logged into the webmail, and they seem to have disappeared from there too. No warning, nothing. Can someone please explain why this has happened? And what to do to recover my email? I'm not happy at all and in fact very upset.

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Email from Inbox disappeared!

Logging into webmail is the closest way you can get to the actual email records on the server, so emails that aren't visible really have gone beyond recall. It would be worth checking every folder there, because sometimes mails can be moved or even deleted by a hitch in a remote app.

I take it your email address is linked to a current Virginmedia broadband account? Otherwise it may be in the process of being closed, under the terms by which it was originally provided. 

0 Kudos
coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@CDMK wrote:

I use Thunderbird on a Windows desktop.

If the missing emails were deleted from Thunderbird for some reason the IMAP protocol would automatically have deleted them in your webmail account but hopefully they might still be sitting in the Deleted folder.

I take it you have already looked in the Deleted folder for that email account in Thunderbird and, if you use the Unified Folders feature in Thunderbird, you should check the Deleted folder in that section as well.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
CDMK
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

HI, thanks for your reply. Yes, my Thunderbird is connected to our current Virgin media broadband and it is an active account. We've had it since Virgin took over the previous company over about 15 years ago. I checked my Thunderbird deleted folder and other folders but they aren't there, only emails I've deleted in the normal run of things. I Tweeted Virgin support and got some help there for contacting support. Will look in my webmail folders as you suggested, thanks again.

0 Kudos
CDMK
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

HI, thanks for replying. I checked in my normal deleted items folder, they're not there, only the normal emails I delete. I don't know what the Unified Folders feature is, so I will have to check that out. As I mentioned to theprevious poster, I got some help to contact Virgin support so if I get anything useful (or otherwise!) from them I'll post it in this thread. I'm so frustrated and confused! Thanks again for your reply.

0 Kudos
coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@CDMK wrote:I don't know what the Unified Folders feature is, so I will have to check that out.

The Unified folders option in Thunderbird  is really only useful if you are using T'bird to manage more than one email account.

It provides an option to allow you to see the emails from all your addresses in one Inbox, Sent folder, Deleted folder etc as well under each individual email account.

To turn it on click on View in the menu across the top of the screen, then on Folders, then Unified

I have quite a number of email accounts and in T'bird I manage all of them from the Unified Folders section.

"I got some help to contact Virgin support"

Will be interesting to hear if VM can recover those missing emails for you.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

bsmith10
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I also have this issue.  My husband completed a software update on his phone and all of the emails in his inbox disappeared.  Emails in his other folders were ok.  Could you let me know if you get this resolved or any contact details you have for Virgin Media to assist.  Good luck!

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

You can sometimes see different numbers of emails depending on which app is used and which email protocol it uses to connect. 

If you use a browser to connect to webmail, you will be looking directly at the email records. It's the most accurate check. If the emails you want are not visible in any of the folders including any deleted/junk/spam folder, then unfortunately they no longer exist and Virgin will not be able to recover them.

Virgin don't keep backup files, that's the job of the user for any important data. 

0 Kudos