cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email fiasco

harveyhsmith
Joining in

Please can someone explain why after 20 years, I need to use another email, that's not my virgin media email to log into virgin media? 

Can I get an explanation?

p.s. I cant get into my email anymore. It's been 4 days.

3 REPLIES 3

adamelphick
Up to speed

Exactly the same thing here - locked out of my OWN email, and asked to change PW (shades of the last few months debacle again!) - I sign in to My VM and then when I access the PW change  option it says I have to change my email address to a non-Virgin one!  WHAT THE HELL IS HAPPENING?

@adamelphick wrote:

Exactly the same thing here - locked out of my OWN email, and asked to change PW (shades of the last few months debacle again!) - I sign in to My VM and then when I access the PW change  option it says I have to change my email address to a non-Virgin one!  WHAT THE HELL IS HAPPENING?

Well, we could speculate and see if it makes sense.

Earlier this year, VM stopped providing email addresses to new customers and also prevented existing customers from creating additional addresses. This would hint that they don’t see providing an email provision as being particularly important. 

Now let’s speculate that VM have medium to long term plans to completely terminate any email provision for all customers, now, they would, naturally want you to still be able to access your VM account, but if this is done via a VM branded email address which is being discontinued (maybe), then possibly what they might do is to ‘encourage/force’ existing users to move to a non-VM branded address so as to still be able to access their account (and be sent marketing information etc.), sooner rather than later!

Of course, all pure speculation, VM have claimed that they have ‘no plans' (well at least not any they are willing to share), to terminate the email addresses of existing customers - but neither have they promised that they won’t do this.

Personally, anyone relying on a VM branded email address, you might well want to consider alternatives before it’s too late!

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey harveyhsmith,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post here on the forums.
I’m sorry to hear of the issues that you’re having with your email account due to the changes that have been made. I would be happy to take a further look into this for you but first I would need to confirm a few details via private message, please look out for my message and we can get started.
Kind Regards,
Steven_L