cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email down.....again (ntlworld.com)

Mint2323
On our wavelength

Hi, please could someone advise.

We have an ntlworld.com email with you and yesterday it started having errors when sending.

Today it has completely gone, receiving still works and oddly it's using the older password to receive the email and not the updated one I changed to 1 hour ago.

This has happened a fair few times over the years and I was advised in the past to reset my password.

When trying to log in manually via your website, it does indeed say mailbox is locked and gives me 3 steps to follow.

I have done all but when I get to step 2, and I choose a different email as your reset requests, the new said email gets the activate link, however once you click on the link it and try and log in you get the message you need to verify your email.... so its a continuous loop of a broken system.

I have no idea if this is some issue your end, but just my luck the email goes down when needed.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

"I assume I am using the new new email and the Generated new App password for both the IMAP and SMTP?"

No that is where you are going wrong.  The IMAP and SMTP servers need your full VM email address as the username, not the third party one.  The password to use is the Generated app password.

The third party email username is only used to access the My Virgin Media account and VM webmail.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

12 REPLIES 12

lollie1964
Tuning in

I have been without my ntlworld email since 20/9 and i am banging my head against a wall trying to resolve! No one seems to care and I have wasted too long repeating myself in calls! I hope you have more luck than me!

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@treacs Your post is misleading in the extreme.  Provided that the Ntlworld email address is connected to a current Virgin Media broadband account it will continue to operate.

The only ones being closed down are those not linked to a paid for VM broadband account as has been detailed in the VM terms and conditions for a long time.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

I’m afraid you are incorrect. Speaking with Virgin today they couldn’t offer me a virgin media email and told me to use my iCloud account to sign in. I have been loyal customer for 20 years and no problems. Which still doesn’t work. If you are a very insightful person as you state maybe you can tell how to get into my emails. Cause I can’t and neither can Virgin!!

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A recent security change means that each Ntlworld email address along with all other VM email domains require a third party email address to be used as the new login username for the email account.  This does not change the underlying Ntlworld email address, only the way you sign into it via the My Virgin Media account or via VM webmail.

If you want to access the email account via an email client you need to follow the instructions to create an app password to use in the email client along with the Ntlworld email address concerned as the username.

VM have recently changed the log in requirements for accessing VM Mail via third party apps.

If you change the password for the account in My Virgin Media > Account settings > Account details you will not be able to use the new password to access the account via an email client. Email client access now requires an app specific password which can be generated in the MyVM > Account Settings > Account details > Mailbox App password management

Mint2323
On our wavelength

Just to add to this;

I have tried again to go through the steps this morning, however on step 1 now all I get is this message when choosing a new password.

'Sorry, there was a problem registering that password. Please choose a different one.'

I have tried many different permutations, but it is always the same error message.

If I try and use the second email and try and activate as mentioned above which step 2 wants, its give another error.

' You haven't confirmed this email address yet. Please check your inbox for a message called 'Verify your My Virgin Media email' and click the link in the email.'

I must of tried to verified it 20 times now.

If this is the case- VM requiring a third party email before you can once again access your ntlworld emails- why an earth did they not advise their customers first- to prevent all this unnecessary hassle and time wasting - and let the people who work for them know how to rectify it! I too have wasted hours on this and spoken to staff who had no idea what to do and never got back to me! If you know this and are not an employee, why the hell do they not know? They are absolutely useless! I have just managed to get back on my email after 9 days -no thanks to Virgin! To those having the same issues- just keep trying with the verification on 3rd party email, mine worked eventually! 

Hi, thanks for the update on your situation.

I have also managed to log into my mail but only via a browser.

My original email programme no longer works with the new email/password.

Just feels broken.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Mint2323 Detailed instructions for using an email client to access your VM emails can be found here:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/broadband/manage-email-account

You will need to follow the instructions to set up an app password to use with the VM email address concerned as the username.

Mint2323
On our wavelength

Thanks for your assistance Graham_A

I have made some progress, I am now able to access the email address via a browser.

I am able to receive via an email to client app, however sending is not working.

message showing 'Sending of the message failed. Unable to authenticate to Outgoing server (SMTP) smtp.virginmedia.com. Please check the password and verify the 'Authentication method' in 'Account Settings | Outgoing server (SMTP)''

I have checked the link you sent and they are correct details for the servers.

I assume I am using the new new email and the Generated new App password for both the IMAP and SMTP?