Menu
ebid
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Email delivery problems to our customers with virgin email addresses

Hi, many of our customers are missing transactional emails due to an issue affecting email delivery to Virgin Media customers (ntlworld.com, blueyonder.co.uk and virginmedia.com etc).  "Hourly rate limit for your IP exceeded" seems to be the main problem.  Our email server is correctly configured to support SPF, DKIM and DMARC

We have recently moved from a 15 year well established mail server so I expect the problem is down to that. Is there someone I can PM directly to discuss this?  It's REALLY hard to find any contact details from Virgin Media's web site in relation to this matter. I can supply our old and new IP addresses

Many Thanks.

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Email delivery problems to our customers with virgin email addresses

Hello

The VM forum team will need to know if you are getting bounce backs and you will also need to have the bounce back message you may have to look into the email server logs to get this. Without that information there is very little that VM can do.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
ebid
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mike,

We have all the details necessary from logs etc but didn't want to paste everything to a public forum. 

An example postfix message is 

(host mx.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net[212.54.56.11] said: 421 4.1.1 MXIN503 Hourly ratelimit for your IP exceeded ;id=J3YYkBdwMPvslJ3YYkKoLZ;sid=J3YYkBdwMPvsl;mta=mx5.tb;d=20200918;t=014314[CET];ipsrc=xx.xx.xx.xx; (in reply to RCPT TO command))
xxx@ntlworld.com

Thanks

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello

I have escalated to the VM forum team, one of the VM staff will be along in this thread to resolve it for you.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Zoie_P
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ebid,

thank you for your post, I am sorry to hear you are having issues with your email, I can look into this for you and will pop you over a private message. Please keep an eye out for the purple envelope 🙂
thanks,

Zoie

0 Kudos
ebid
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Zoie,

You sent me a PM on Tuesday asking me for my account number and other details. I replied saying that I don't have any of these, perhaps you misunderstood the problem we are having but I haven't had any replies.

It is still happening and is causing us huge problems with our customers making sales on eBid and not receiving notifications of them.

If someone could go back over the thread and help us get to the bottom of the problem it would be appreciated. It should be a simple case of whitelisting our new mail server IP which I added to the PM replies a few days ago.

Many Thanks,

Gary

www.eBid.net

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Zoie_P 

It looks like you may have gotten a little confused about what's happening here.

@ebid isn't a customer, rather he's a third party trying to send emails TO VM email addresses.

A big clue to watch out for is the MXIN (Mail eXhanger IN) error codes in the bounce messages.  If you see those then you know that the poster is talking about mail sent TO one or more VM customers.  As such, these particular posters DON'T normally have Virgin Media accounts.

Normally senders like ebd should be able to use the normal postmaster addresses to contact VM about any deliverability issues, however if VM is failing to exclude the postmaster addresses from the measures that are hindering the sender, then this might not be an option for them,  In which case you guys will need to act as middle man and escalate this to Liberty Global (or rather Ziggo)  I'm sure that @Kev_B or one of the @ModTeam should be able to help you if you are stuck.

Tim