Menu
cunnith
On our wavelength
Message 31 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Re: Incoming email not being delivered

One of my missing emails has arrived but four others from Monday and Tuesday have not.  This is unacceptable.

Tom

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 32 of 34
Flag for a moderator

@cunnith wrote:

One of my missing emails has arrived but four others from Monday and Tuesday have not.  This is unacceptable.

Tom

Actually what's unacceptable to me is when email server owners ignore basic server etiquette and then wonder why they end up being caught up in anti spam initiatives by providers.  At least two posts on this thread demonstrate this.  I'd need to do some digging into headers to check others out.

Certainly the spam received from Amazon's AWS servers has convince me of the need for mail providers to consider blocking generic hostnames again, being as all of the spam received from the sysprem.com email address came from servers that did not follow proper mail server identification methods.  (In fact if I were working for Virgin Media, I would block all AWS connections until Amazon could demonstrate that they have a handle on that particular problem.  (So it's probably a good thing I don't as I'm sure there'd be many more complaints over that).

Oh - and as for people who can't be bothered to use a proper hosting service for their own domains emails.  Well if you want to take the cheapest solution and forward them to a residential service.  What can I say.  Email forwarding breaks SPF so you're going to get problems anyway.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

cunnith
On our wavelength
Message 33 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Tim,

Thanks for your comments.  You've helped me with similar problems in the past.  The time may have come for me to move my domain away from Virgin Media.  My domain isn't for commercial purposes but I need to know that emails sent to me will arrive.  Can you recommend a hosting service which offers a simple service for a modest cost?

Thanks for your contributions to this forum.

Tom

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 34 of 34
Flag for a moderator

The options depend on you.

Easiest is to use the hosted mail service provided by your registrar (most have one), as it requires practically no setup and no changing DNS records, (Although I do always recommend making sure you've got SPF, DKIM and DMARC set up to protect your domain).  You can shop around 

Second option is to separate the email hosting and the registrar.  That way you can shop around for the best deals.  Note that Zoho mail still provides free hosting for one domain with up to 25 email addresses - however they only use domainkeys on the free accounts not DKIM (domainkeys has been deprecated in favour of DKIM and is not used by anyone nowadays).  Also being a free account it doesn't come with dedicated 1 to 1 support that most hosted accounts do.  Although if you do upgrade to a paid option this does change.

Third option is to run your own mail server.  There is an option for dummies called Mail in a box (I use it myself).  However you do need to be able to set up a unix instance on a virtual machine and keep it updated.  There is a walkthrough  on the site to set it up although while they used a Digital Ocean Droplet I opted for a 1&1 VPS.  Once it's running it's fairly painless though, especially if you point your Glue records at the box itself.  Once it's set up adding new email addresses is simple and even adding new domains to the same box is as simple as adding an email address under the new domain name.

However even though it's made for dummies (including me) it can appear challenging at first, but for cost effectiveness, it's actually the best option.  Mail in a box is free although you do have to pay for the VPS instance you are using, if you have multiple email addresses for your domain is works out much cheaper in the long run.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos