Menu
AndyInMancheste
Dialled in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Email claiming to be from Virgin, that looks a lot like phishing spam

I've had an email, allegedly from Virgin Media.  Other than having my first name in the subject, it makes no attempt to prove it's authentic.  The subject line is "Andrew, important info about your account".

That phrase is VERY commonly used in phishing spam.

I preview emails in MailWasher, in text form, and all I see is this:

"Dear Customer

Due to HTML display being deactivated, unfortunately this e-mail cannot be displayed correctly.
To view the online version, click on https://em.virginmedia.com/2/4/17Q...  or copy the link into your browser.

Yours sincerely,
Virgin Media

You are registered to receive updates and offers with the following e-mail address:
andythewit@ntlworld.com

Should you wish to unsubscribe, click here: https://em.virginmedia.com/2/4/11AiT6idjIaQRc0....
"

Although the start of the URLs is okay, I can't be sure there isn't a redirection trick involved, because the end of each link is a long series of letters and digits.

So,

Is this genuine?

Is it actually important, as it claims, or are VM just wasting my time and patience with marketing spam, having put no effort into proving to me that it's genuine?

Since it claims I can unsubscribe from whatever sort of message this is, how do I do that through my account, instead of clicking a link I don't trust?

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Email claiming to be from Virgin, that looks a lot like phishing spam

Hello

That's not an virgin media email address it is a scam

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If it helps I received an email from VM today to an email address that only they know.  The subject line was as you describe but with my name.

The email contains generic advice on how to be alert to scammers via email, text or telephone and explains the type of security checks that a genuine call from VM would entail.

There are no suspect links in the email asking for information so I would say that in this case it is genuine.

A number of members posting on these forums have been suggesting for some time that VM send out an email warning to customers about the increased level of scam attempts doing the rounds during this pandemic.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@DJ_Shadow1966 wrote:

Hello

That's not an virgin media email address it is a scam

Regards Mike

Email@em.virginmedia.com is a genuine address used by Virgin Media for many customer information emails.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

AndyInMancheste
Dialled in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, Graham.

The first link I see presumably isn't shown, in a html email client, but the unsubscribe link would be. I'm suspicious of any long link with lots of nonsensical characters at the end. Some servers can be tricked by putting a redirection in the link, which would involve characters represented as %dd normally... Quite possibly. that's the only way, but I'm still suspicious of long links with random looking characters.

It's a shame Virgin can't get it together to put some more convincing detail in, to prove it's genuine. I have one of the most common first names there is, so including that doesn't impress me at all.

So, they decided to warn people about scammers by encouraging people to open an email that looks like it's a scam. That does seem about right.
0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I completely agree that it is healthy to be sceptical about any email received.

Using a unique email address as your contact email for Virgin media communications is a good idea in my opinion.

There is no unsubscribe link in the email that I received.

Knightrider80
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I completely agree that it is healthy to be sceptical about any email received.

I have blacklisted it in my VM mail and deleted it.

on a separate note if someone rings and says they are from a Virgin media data centre and that they would like to give you a refund (Don't believe them) it is a scam.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

For your information,

I have asked the VM community management team to verify the authenticity of this particular email message.

AndyInMancheste
Dialled in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, Graham.

0 Kudos