Menu
steve3961uk
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Email blacklist limit reached so what happens now?

Hi

I want to blacklist/block unwanted emails but the VM webmail advises it has reached the block limit so it cannot do anything BUT suggests I delete some of the entries to make room. This seems stupid to be honest. I tend to check my webmail account so that I could hopefully zap them before they reach my Ms Outlook pop3 email system and keep that clear of crap. (well I try to).

I love the speed of VM but if emails that I don't want and can't block are able to get through then what do I do? The monthly charge from the ISP is eye watering enough so it should be sorted by VM? that the customers are able to function without distrations from unwelcome areas and wasting my time to get rid of  them on an almost daily occurence.

Thanks

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Email blacklist limit reached so what happens now?

@steve3961uk wrote:

I want to blacklist/block unwanted emails but the VM webmail advises it has reached the block limit so it cannot do anything BUT suggests I delete some of the entries to make room

Firstly if by "unwanted emails" you are referring to spam emails from senders you do not know, then using the blacklist function is pretty much a waste of time.

Why?

Well spammers always change the address they send from on a regular basis precisely to get round blacklists. Often the change of address is barely noticeably, "spam1@someemail.com" and "spamI@someemail.com" for example but the slightest difference will beat the blacklist.

That means that the early addresses you blacklisted are almost certainly no longer relevant because the spammers have long since stopped using them. Therefore deleting them is not as silly as it sounds.

Instead of using the blacklist function you can use the "filter rules". For example. that enables you to filter emails based on key words that often appear in the subject line of the spam messages you receive. For example "bitcoin" or "Norton" if those are what you are seeing. There are lots of posts on here where people offer up suggestions for that and  many people seem to find them useful.

However, unless you love solving puzzles I would not bother. The type of spam you get will change all the time and you will be constantly updating the rules to keep your rules working.

The simplest approach is to accept that the spam filters VM use are not really fit for purpose and you would be better off switching to using a more professionally run email service. An added advantage is that using a non ISP address will make it easier for you when you switch providers because VM email accounts are only allowed for VM broadband customers.

I have a Virgin address but I only use it for communications from VM themselves. Personally I find Gmail filters out 100% of spam and I don't have to bother with setting any rules at all.  I know not everyone is a fan of Google but there are other email services out there you can use of you prefer.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
DaveW96
Dialled in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Look up "My spam solution". It is working fine as others have confirmed.

0 Kudos
steve3961uk
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks I will try and find what it is your refer to

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Community elder
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Try the Multi-Spam filter created by boothy99 and described in post #32 here: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Spam-VM-s-filter-is-useless/td-p/4477831/page/4

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.
0 Kudos